Humidity issue during lock down

Bigandlittles

Songster
Nov 13, 2022
Cut Off Louisiana
Help please. We have done a dry hatch with silkie eggs. We raised the humidity yesterday and stopped rotation. Over night a cold front came through. The humidity was at 24 when we woke up this morning. I added water and now have the humidity back up to 55. I am nervous that those few hous of low humidity will mess up the hatch. Any suggestions would help.

I hope you right. I was so disappointed in myself for letting it happen. It’s usually pretty humid here in south louisiana but I didn’t know that cool front was passing through. Didn’t get cold but it got dry

agreed, humidity is a minor factor, early on if air pockets looks small i'lll use less water, if theyre getting large more .. and then after pipping i'll add a bit more, with the idea being if they take a long time to unzip with a hole in the egg you dont want them to start drying out and get sticky, but generally ive found when they all start coming out the moisture from the eggs and wet goo slams humidty way high anyway .. but yeah, main idea is humidity level isnt going to kill your eggs, not like the wrong temp will .. getting humidity right is more like giving them a little edge, you want things as close to optimal as feasible of course ..

Thank y’all for reassuring me. I was praying it didn’t make a big difference. I am watching them closely now. Had to add water twice in the past couple hours to keep humidity at 50. Usual humidity around here stays at 50 outside

Day three of lockdown and still no movement. Should I be worried or should I relax?
I just did my first hatch Sunday night. We lost power for 5 hours Saturday morning. And I thought all was lost, but I remembered My broody hens get up during the day, so they're not on the nest. I didn't see movement until after the power came back on. Had one hatch a day early! After the first time, just like having a kid it's always nerve wracking. Worrying won't do you any good, if you get 1 to hatch it's a success. That's my approach.

Also, have a backup power source. I put mine on my APC

Attachments

• 20230313_174849.jpg
    20230313_174849.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 1
How many times have you candled the eggs? I candled at Day 10, and day 18. I would wait an extra day or so.

Back
Top Bottom