Hyline Brown Chickens

LCfarms

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 19, 2013
Hello,
I had a friend contact me wondering if I would take her hyline brown hens. Up until now I hadn't even heard of them. I've done some research on them, what does everyone on here think of them?

They are great layers - for 2 to 3 years. They are another of the hybrid layers that burns out or begins having problems with their reproductive organs. However, if they are free and young they would be worth the feed investment.

Exactly. Big, big poultry corporation. They only need these layers for one season, and at the very most two seasons. That's it. All in and all population of the layer house. Thus, bred to be quick lay, lay large, and burn out. Shrug. Do they all die young? No, but the genetics are no designed for them to be marathon distance runners. They're sprinter, plain and simple.

Hylines are one of many labels under which some hatcheries sell their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing red gene roosters (RIR, Prod. Red, or NHR) with silver gene hens (WR, RIW, SLW, Delaware, or Light Sussex). Other labels under which various hatcheries sell Red Sex Links are Red Star, Brown Sex Link, Gold Sex Link, Gold Star, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buff, Bovans Brown, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, etc., but no matter what labels they are marketed under, Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It is one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Good luck with your Hylines.

To add to all this. The Hy Line company has bred certain types to come up with the best line that will produce better than any other/most breeds, including hybrids, out there. They do all the work you reap the benefits.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom