Hypothermia?

From your description of deaths,i suspect you are dealing with something that is causing some sort of toxin to your birds,this is why i suggested checking the type of heat lamp you are using or do you have any type of teflon coating on something in coop? Respiratory like symptoms(purple combs indicate this)thrashing around,sudden deaths and several deaths suggest to me that this is where you should start looking. Curious as to whether birds that have died were closer to heat lamp,than the ones/one that survived?

They were not close to the lamp except one. The lamp is rather non-descript. Happily Elvis is crowing this morning, looks great and enjoying his new home in the barn until we get results from OSU. They are confident they will be able to solve this for us so we can make plans to regroup

So far the results are inconclusive. All three that were examined had impacted crops, absolutely no grit in them which is strange as we feed scratch on the ground, and they free range occasionally. There was also a mass of fibrous material in the crop that was not identified, we are waiting to hear more on that. There is no fiberglass, fabric or anything inorganic in the coop or enclosure. The researcher was perplexed that all passed within hours of each other, and that the Rooster is back to his normal self. Thus going back to a toxin or poison of some sort. I am distressed that there was no concrete cause as of yet. We are hoping to find out more on Monday or Tuesday. They are extremely helpful and seem very motivated to help us. I am saddened as if we cannot find the issue, I will not get more birds, and they have been such a source of joy for us. We spend evenings outside with them in the summer and appreciate the gift of their beautiful eggs.

So far the results are inconclusive. All three that were examined had impacted crops, absolutely no grit in them which is strange as we feed scratch on the ground, and they free range occasionally. There was also a mass of fibrous material in the crop that was not identified, we are waiting to hear more on that. There is no fiberglass, fabric or anything inorganic in the coop or enclosure. The researcher was perplexed that all passed within hours of each other, and that the Rooster is back to his normal self. Thus going back to a toxin or poison of some sort. I am distressed that there was no concrete cause as of yet. We are hoping to find out more on Monday or Tuesday. They are extremely helpful and seem very motivated to help us. I am saddened as if we cannot find the issue, I will not get more birds, and they have been such a source of joy for us. We spend evenings outside with them in the summer and appreciate the gift of their beautiful eggs.
You mentioned that they free range occasionally,but do they have access to grit at all times? If they are not free ranged all the time,then they need grit provided to them for digestion of food.

Last edited:
I've had a few die with huge crops full of grain, but they were not impacted, their organs shut down before their crops could clear. Not saying that's the case here, just what I have seen in mine, but mine always have some grit in their crops. Interesting...

-Kathy

We did not supplement the grit except for oyster shell when they were beginning to lay. we have started that with the Rooster now. They did not think that was the cause of death, more of an observation.

We did not supplement the grit except for oyster shell when they were beginning to lay. we have started that with the Rooster now. They did not think that was the cause of death, more of an observation.
Yes,they need grit. I supply mine with grit and oyster shells/crushed egg shells. Without the grit,they probably would not have been able to digest feed properly in their gizzard,as this is where the grit is stored. The gizzard is a strong muscle,the contractions of the gizzard along with the stones(grit)grind food up so it can be digested. Did they die from impacted gizzard/crop,as a impact can extend from crop to gizzard.

Back
Top Bottom