Hypothermia?

Its also made from Cedar, the fumes from that is debatable as well if that is harmful to chickens. You could paint it inside with a good paint to seal out the smells. I can not believe they can sell coops like that with miss leading information to customers. So many people now want chickens in there backyard, these companies are getting in on the profits in selling small coops. I am so sorry for your losses. Hugs

Heres is an idea how to get the air moving and circulate out at the peck of the roof.

Yes, 6 is absolute max.... 4 is mo better.... I have 3 in a 4x8 coop and they have free range during the day.. I think you can make that work if you give good ventilation but keep the air "dead" back by the roost even if it means moving the roost to another position. But like Beekist said it's hard to do in a small coop. I have done it in ours but it's 2 feet deeper. The way I checked for drafts on the roost was set a candle on the roost on a windy day and see if the flame stays still. Sorry, but that brings me to the roost in your coop....a 2x4 on it's side would be better than the ones the company supplied so they can cover their feet with their feathers when it's cold....
Cedar shouldn't be a problem unless you use it as bedding...whole boards have not shown to be an issue.

On edit those roost do look like 2x4's after viewing them on a bigger screen....you're only going to need one tho.

Last edited:
Well, the verdict is in...Beekissed, you were right. I am beside myself with the thought that these sweet little ladies trusted me to take care of them, and I literally loved them to death. The OSU doc was very happy to have the information that you had supplied, and will add that to his research and in his files for future reference. He asked that I pass on his thanks. With a clean coop, fresh feed, sterilized waterers, fresh pine bedding, NO heat lamp, NO covers on the outside of the coop, I brought home 4 beautiful, healthy 9 month old hens last night. Elvis our rooster will meet them in a few days after they have had time to quarantine and to acclimate to their new surroundings. Again, my thanks to all of you for your help and compassion. I look forward to starting over with a new chance with a new, though much smaller, flock of chickens.

I will post pics soon! And I will be a label reader from now on, but is there EVER a time for use of a Heat lamp? (teflon free of course)
Only for chicks in a brooder. A heatlamp is just a electric bill jacker, and totally unnecessary for adult chickens. Plenty of risks, for absolutely NO benefit.

Yes,there are definitely times when additional heat is required,such as how many birds you have/type of breeds/molting/ill/injured and your climate,all are factors when making the decision on whether to heat or not. Monitor your birds,only you know how they are feeling and if the cold is becoming an issue,you are the only one who can make this decision.

So many constantly say no birds need heat,this is so incorrect that i find it frustrating that there are so many uninformed chicken owners.

I heat my coops as it is extremely cold were i live,i also have silkies and they do not like the cold weather i have.

I forgot to put in my disclaimer about thinly feathered, or exotic breeds. But as far as standard chicken breeds go, No added heat is necessary. That is a matter of historical FACT. Plenty of written evidence about chickens being kept, Even in open-air coops, in temps down to -40, with NO added heat. So, if you want to keep silkies in Alaska, yeah, you may have to add some heat, otherwise, not so much.

Well, the verdict is in...Beekissed, you were right. I am beside myself with the thought that these sweet little ladies trusted me to take care of them, and I literally loved them to death. The OSU doc was very happy to have the information that you had supplied, and will add that to his research and in his files for future reference. He asked that I pass on his thanks. With a clean coop, fresh feed, sterilized waterers, fresh pine bedding, NO heat lamp, NO covers on the outside of the coop, I brought home 4 beautiful, healthy 9 month old hens last night. Elvis our rooster will meet them in a few days after they have had time to quarantine and to acclimate to their new surroundings. Again, my thanks to all of you for your help and compassion. I look forward to starting over with a new chance with a new, though much smaller, flock of chickens.

It's good to know what it was, finally, I'm sure...now you can stop beating yourself up about it. How could you have known that? I just found out that info last year myself and I've been doing chickens for 37 yrs, though I must admit that I'd never used a heat lamp for chicks until this past year....only ever used standard light bulbs and tenting the brooder.

I'm glad you are starting over! And I'm glad your OSU guy was so nice and helpful. Who knows? Your bird's experience could save many, many chickens out there if he chooses to do a talk about it or a paper on it.
I will post pics soon! And I will be a label reader from now on, but is there EVER a time for use of a Heat lamp? (teflon free of course)

Small chicks in an outdoors brooder, old birds in extreme subzero temps, injured/sick birds in cold temps, etc. Healthy, young, fully fledged birds shouldn't need it but if they look uncomfortable and it's subzero out, just provide good ventilation and run that heat lamp to provide some relief from the cold. I did it for my birds for two days last week and it only warmed the coop up to -10 degrees and the only reason I did that was because I have a couple of 6 and 7 yr old birds that were looking uncomfortable. They did fine! Seems like even old birds can weather ten below zero without any problems.

Got it! It is unusual for it to hit -10 at our place, but wind can be an issue. My husband and I discussed putting up wind breaks to avoid that issue, bales of hay on the outside of the fenced enclosure should work fine. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom