HYPOTHETICAL DISCUSSION: What to feed your chickens when we can't buy chicken feed anymore

Personally, I throw everything in their run. They can eat it or lay on it or whatever. Try the nuts. Let us know how the like them.

I have big hickory and corn trees.
if i collected some and crushed them well, do you think they'd eat the meats?
id also like to try making mini bales of "hay"--ie tall lawn grass thats been mowed and gathered
or maybe make it into a silage/ balage type thing?  mini of course....
tammy

Yes. With the acorns of oak trees it might be advisable to either cook them or make avalaible addition mineral in diet. My birds will consume some types of acorns without crushing. Crush immediately prior to feeding out as some loose nutritional quality quickly.

I have big hickory and corn trees.
if i collected some and crushed them well, do you think they'd eat the meats?
id also like to try making mini bales of "hay"--ie tall lawn grass thats been mowed and gathered
or maybe make it into a silage/ balage type thing? mini of course....
tammy
corn trees? what the h... is a "corn tree" lmao
i meant oaks- ya know, for A -corns!

If it gets to the point where you can't buy grain/chickenfeed/etc, population density is going to be much much lower, which means if I'm one of the lucky few, I've probably taken over my neighbors' land, and expanded quite a bit. fodder crops wouldn't be an issue.

As to the seed thing, people worry too much - seeds have been readily available for a lot longer than than electricity - we were farming almost 10K years ago. All that corn isn't going to disapear.

Back
Top Bottom