I AM GETTING A GOAT !!

THESE ARE NOT MINE.
Do you think this would be a good fence? This is kinda what I have been thinking of.

Also I just saw a goat feeder made out of a tote.(pintrest :) ) Has anyone tried this?

Is 728 square feet enough outside room for two goats(and kid) through winter and spring? I am thinking this will be my main area, and next summer I can make two pens coming off original one and rotate between the two.

Should be, as I said I have had mine on a small dry lot, which is basically a dirt ground area with no grass because they ate it all, I would just rake up the berries as needed. Though you do need to provide hay year round.

Last edited:
So I think I have it figured out!
Fencing : nonclimbing horse fence, 12.5 gauge, 2x4 holes. Three wooden rails of 2x6s: Top, bottom, and lower middle.

Oberhasali bred to boer is the goat I have coming. We will eat the kid. (Boy that sounds mean) Anyway.... second goat,(next year) Kinder. We can have her bred at different times to have milk year round, and once again...eat the kids.

And now, even before first one has even gotten here we have expanded to a THIRD goat. A Nigerian Dwarf. Now I had crossed this one off my list and went with the bit bigger Kinder, but my husband informs me he wants a pet. He said he wants to sit on the swing with her and eat hotdogs and drink beer. Not sure if the goat will be up to that. :/
These babies we will sell.

So... these are the plans as of now.
Post holes are dug, wire and lumber are coming tomorrow. I even found some big wooden, wire spools for some goat toys.
A little stressed, but still excited to get them here!

Sounds like a good plan, except the eating part, I'm hoping you change your mind after meeting the kids, they are so cute, but I know it happens but I don't want to know about it. Hopefully you will share your progress.

my husband informs me he wants a pet. He said he wants to sit on the swing with her and eat hotdogs and drink beer. Not sure if the goat will be up to that. :/

I find wethers to be more people companion friendly over does, and if you spend the time with them when they are young they will be as tame as a dog...

Last edited:
I would agree with MeepBeep, I have 13 wethers and one doe, the does are more skiddish even when bottle raised, my boys will cling to me like thistles.

Sounds like a good plan, except the eating part, I'm hoping you change your mind after meeting the kids, they are so cute, but I know it happens but I don't want to know about it. Hopefully you will share your progress.
I know I am not too keen on the butchering part. But I really want my family to become more self reliant and hate all the junk they pump into commercial foods. We will see how it goes.
I will have to take pictures when the fencing is done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom