I am moving to the countryside. Need advice.

What kind of vehicle do you have for transportation?

What is your budget for buying or renting a place?

How far away is it from where you are? Is your situation now such that you can make more than one trip? Can you get some friends to help with the move?

Be safe and good luck. :hugs

I still don't know exactly where I'll go, but I do know that it won't be that far - max 2 hours away.

My budget is limited but not fully defined yet. I mean, if I find a place to rent tomorrow, it's a different budget than if I find a place to rent in November as we're saving for this purpose.

I do know that I want to hire a truck to transport the coop, the run, and some furniture. I will try not to make more than one trip, at least in that truck ($), but I can use a friend's car to do an extra trip if needed.

As for the chickens, I'm really insecure about transporting them in a truck, even if they're in boxes. Especially because I have a chronically ill chicken who gets shortness of breath if she's nervous. I'm 100% sure that I will take that one with me in my friend's car (with a diaper). She'll be calmer if she travels in my arms, moreover, she's used to traveling this way (I took her to the vet multiple times this way). She could even be sleeping if we travel during the night.

Now, my boyfriend told me that he could take this hen in his arms (she's comfortable with him as well) and I could grab the rooster (because he is comfortable with me and only me, lol).

But actually, all my chickens are fairly comfortable traveling in human hands, and they all know what it's like to travel in a car because they've all visited the vet in the past, even if it was just for a checkup.

Tell me if I'm crazy... but if my boyfriend, a friend, and I can travel holding one chicken each (in the night, with diapers, and wrapped in a towel to avoid wing slaps, lol), I could get the 5 chickens to the new home in two car trips? They would be with or nearby me, they could hear my voice if they get nervous. I feel like it's the least stressful option for them, lol.

You might really need to think with your brain and logic, and not quite so much with your heart. Generally when young people are starting out on their own, things cost quite a bit more than they expect.

There really is no need to plan the trip, until you have somewhere to go. If you put chickens in a box, a couple together, and in the dark, they will go to sleep and not remember the trip at all. Diaper, extra trips, are nice if you have extra money, but kind of a waste of money if you don't.

Chickens really hate change. They may not like the country. Leaving them where they are at is at least an option to consider. I would assume someone else is picking up the feed bill. It might be that at this time, chickens really are not a good option for you until you get your feet under you and your fella.

Good luck, but I would give the advice, to get your life back on track, see what your options truly are, and then adjust.

Mrs K

Sadly, violence in the home can most certainly translate to violence against a family member's pets. Whether the critters are used as manipulation or to target the pet owner, directly or indirectly. Tough as it sounds, I would consider re-homing your flock, either permanently or with someone who would consider turning their ownership back to you when your life is more stable and secure. It would worry me more to leave the chickens in an unstable location than to place them with an experienced caretaker, either short or long term.

If you can show your state or town location in your posts someone might be able to step in and help right away, either with relocation, supplies or as temporary shelter for your chickens. Many here are familiar with special needs hens, too. So much to think about but there is a way out for you and your chickens. You have already taken the first step!

Back
Top Bottom