I am sure it has been talked about a lot, Worming Questions

Joe no the rate does not change just add some more waterers. I use 3 one gallon water containers for all my birds. I put 3 cc in each one and one gallon of water. If your birds finish them then just refill and add 3cc again. Do this for 3 days then repeat in 14 days and you should be fine. When worming do not eat the eggs of any birds being wormed for that month.

So if I use two gallons, and 6 cc, and it takes them three to four days to finsh water I am good then? or do I have change water everyday?

Change the water everyday. But lets say you put fresh water in at 7am and when you went out at 3 and the waterer was empty you will need to refill it with a new batch of water and wormer. Worm them for 3 days then stop and repeat in 14 days. I do not use Ivermectin on my chicken or ducks just peas unless the birds have mite or something.

Last edited:
So if I use two gallons, and 6 cc, and it takes them three to four days to finsh water I am good then? or do I have change water everyday?

For it to be effective, the medicated water must be the *only* source of water and it should probably be kept out of direct sunlight, but don't quote me on that one, lol.

Warning about Safeguard (Fenbendazole 100mg/). It is not advised to use it during a molt. If you doubt me, just do a quick search on the subject and sure you'll find lots of links. Of course an animals overall health outweighs pretty feathers, IMHO.

Castport,
I am not trying to pick a fight either but I will say this with experience with my birds. I have 38 peafowl and about 30 other birds in the pen in the yard. Chasing and catching and forcing things down a peas throat is very very stressful to the birds. Why put them through all that when you can mix it with water and they drink it? I would have to catch 60 plus birds to worm them or I just put it in the water cause they will drink it. So far my birds must have drank enough cause they have no critters crawling inside them. I understand your bird vet told you to do it your way but ask your vet what he/she would do with 60 plus birds. What do the bigger breeders do - catch 300 plus birds? Would your vet catch each one or put it in the water? Why go to the extreme when there is no need. I had someone come in my yard and throw a sick rooster into my pen about a month ago. Now my pen has a padlock on it. Well I had my first case of blackhead, never had it before. I took a fish zole pill and let the peacock eat it. Blackhead was gone in a few days. One pill, one time, no catching, no stress and a very happy bird. I then opened my breeding pen and let that peacock into the pen to seperate him from the rest so I could treat the entire flock of birds cause if one has it then there are others who do to. I mixed 3 fish zole tablets into each gallon waterer and served it for 4 days. No more blackhead.

What is the difference in "catching" issue in Peafowl whether its to worm with ivomec or safeguard since you stated in a earlier post you catch them 3 days in your safeguard/ivomec cocktail?
Sure I know what you may say that one goes as a application on skin versus oral administration.

We have about 125 peas now and yes it is one of my least favorite jobs in peas catching them for oral dosing.
By the time I am done catching that many birds I'm ready to have a drink.

How did you know you had blackhead in your peacock?

What is the difference in "catching" issue in Peafowl whether its to worm with ivomec or safeguard since you stated in a earlier post you catch them 3 days in your safeguard/ivomec cocktail?
Sure I know what you may say that one goes as a application on skin versus oral administration.

We have about 125 peas now and yes it is one of my least favorite jobs in peas catching them for oral dosing.
By the time I am done catching that many birds I'm ready to have a drink.

How did you know you had blackhead in your peacock?I
I don't "catch my birds and hold them down and force the mouths open to shove stuff down the throat. Is that the answer you are looking for cause I don't understand the question completely? Most of my birds are use to me and when they are on the perches I just use my step ladder and go over to them. A few will jump down but most just sit there and I lift the feathers and squirt the Ivermectin on the backs. The rest go into the shed and I get them in there. I don't chase them around the pen so they are not that afraid of me. The guinea hens are another story so I don't bother with them, they are afaid of everything LOL.
How long does it take you to catch each one and dose them?
He had orangey colored watery poop and constantly laid down and was not eating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom