I am the Possum Battler!

Okay here is another Possum Pic, since it looks like this thread is becoming a photo opportunity for Possums:

36435_lookat.jpg

This one didn't become cross-eyed until after this pic (you can guess why)

Back in 2004, my DH and I were heading to my folks for Xmas. We'd only lived here for a few months. My DH was driving and took the left before the bridge instead of after and we got lost in Uvalde, TX. He pulled over to look at the map (we didn't have a GPS back then) and I noticed a big blue storage box sitting there on the side of the road. It had been sealed up with a heck of a lot of duct tape. I have never felt an urge to open a box as strong as I needed to open that one. At worst, it could have been pieces of a human murder victim or at best, someone's stuff they were moving. It was really hard to peel off enough of the tape to see what was inside but I finally managed. I saw fur and it moved! I screamed to my DH that there was a live animal in there. Just as he got out of the car a policewoman pulled up and she released the animal. It was a opposum. It seemed dazed, of course but otherwise OK. I believe to this day that God sent us there to rescue that poor animal. I just hope that it didn't decide to go after someone's chickens!

Well I hate to kill an animal - but they can be mean lil beasts - and I don't want them to enjoy chicken tonight...

I am probably going to get me a pellet gun or something to keep around to scare em - I don't really want a real gun in my home right now...

But it was a funny sight from the outside I'm sure... My poor girls and roo were upset....

Quote:
lau.gif

O.M.G! Oh, yes, I absolutely can picture it! I just went through almost the same thing myself, just a few hours ago. That's why I got on here looking for posts about 'possums. Only it was THIS tall, fat lady and her 16-year-old son trying to get that "varmint" out of my coop-n-pen, armed with sticks, a closet rod, a tiny flashlight/laser pointer, and snowballs!
gig.gif

I wish I were as brave as you! I see the possum in there eating the eggs and i panic and run away screaming
He has gotten in there 3 or 4 times and eaten all the eggs, doesn't seem to bother the chickens
but today one of my chickens (the most gentle/bottom of the pecking order) has a bloody comb, part of it is black and hanging off and blood on her head
any thoughts?
is this just from the cold weather or did an animal do this to her?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom