I can't believe he actually flogged me...

Have you tried to walk him backwards?

It may take several minutes and you'll feel stupid doing it, but just advance on him, not rushing, just walking towards him - kinda with the idea to walk "through" him or where he's standing, not pausing as you get to where he is. He will back up, still facing you, maybe even making moves toward you but you just keep walking, steadily.

He will back up but continue to face you, and he may turn - still facing you. You turn that way too. Just walk him backwards as long as it takes for him to turn away from you. When HE turns, not facing you, and moves away NOT FACING YOU, he's given up to your dominance.

I've walked a bantam rooster backwards through my yard for 10 minutes, more than 50 feet, turning this way and that way as he tried to keep facing me and move around objects in the yard.

When he gives up, turning away, he will move out of your way. You do not continue to follow him, but move forward past the spot where he gave up as if you have something to do in that direction and he is.. oh... less than nothing, no worry to you at all, because you won and you're the Boss.

I think this is a tough time for little rooster-brains, being spring and there may be chicks to protect and he's feeling his oats. I just reinforce that I'm the boss.

have you tried the football hold on him???
old.gif

My roo at 1 yr old has only challenged me once but has never flogged me. I picked him up alot while raising him so i try once a week to pick him up and hold him to let him know that i still can (he doesnt like it bc it embarrasses him to no end but he still lets me).

Quote:
I actually tried today to grab him to put a football hold on him, but I couldn't catch him. He kept trying to get away from me but still challenging me at the same time.

I have no tolerance for roos that don't behave. If he does it again with you trying the other measures to show him who's boss, it's freezer camp for him.

Quote:
I would put a foot forward to push him back, but make that one of the forward steps. My little Sebright fluffs up the whole time I walk him backwards and I don't care. I just keep walking him backwards.

The one time I had to do it with a large rooster, I did the same thing. I am not afraid of roosters. But then again, I'm not afraid of threatening men, at all. I figure if one punches me out, I'll just call the police as soon as I regain consciousness, and have his butt taken to jail. So roosters are just smaller men and they don't scare me. I walk 'em backwards.

Quote:
I agree completely. I had an Andalusian Roo that I raised since he was 1 day old... never had any issues until around February of this year. He'd attacked my daughter, myself and my husband numerous times. It had gotten to the point that you had to constantly keep an eye on him and couldn't turn your back. This past weekend we decided enough was enough and he is now in freezer camp. There was no way I could have a rooster who was so unpredicatable.

While sending the lad to freezer camp may not seem like a pleasurable thing....It will be such a relief not having to worry about you, or anyone else who may happen by, getting attacked. I swear, when i 'dispatched' with my surly roo, I saw the 'girls' high fiving!! It got to where I couldnt even enjoy being around the hens cause I was worried about ole roosty getting me.

Ours get ONE shot at being a jerk to people. They don't shape up when they get walked backwards or football held, they go to freezer camp.

However, keep in mind, I also have JG roos, a SLW roo and bantam Cochin roos. But we also have small kids here, and a roo who is aggressive to people isn't worth the risk. The Cochins have been the naughty boys most often, we tried a few Orph roos who were terrors - but it could have been teenaged hormones also. But when we are talking about birds who weigh half as much as the toddler, jerk behavior is not going to be accepted.

Back
Top Bottom