I can't seem to peel my hard boiled eggs - page 8 Solution!

I always poke a hole in the fat end of the egg! They peel great! I can go out and gather eggs, 30 minutes later have beautiful deviled eggs! It really does work. You just get a pin and poke a hole in the fat end, then drop them right into the boiling water! As soon as I have them all added, I turn off the burner and let them sit covered for 10 minutes and Viola! Deviled eggs!

Sorry Im being lazy right now and not reading through all 8 pages.
cool.png

But have you tried the "blown egg" trick? Its where you boil them and then add cool water and add a tsp. of baking soda. Saying it raises the pH level. Here is a link to a video showing how to do it. **beware** video does have minor curse word in it. Hope this helps ya out.

I'll try the steaming approach for in-the-shell hard cooking. My fresh eggs are a mess to peel....HOWEVER-- If I just want a few QUICK hard cooked for egg salad, etc. I break them into poaching cups and cook till very firm. They store in small containers, would probably freeze easily and best of all--peeling is never an issue!!
tongue.png

JT in Central Oregon

Havi,
The youtube video is GREAT! THanks so much. I knew that the ph balance is what causes (especially) fresh eggs to adhere to the shell, but didn't know of a solution. So baking soda is the solution!

We now have an answer that works everytime.

cook the eggs at a slow boil for 12 minutes in a pan w/water covering the eggs by 2 inches

****Important step***** Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the water before cooking.

cool w/ice

The baking soda changes the ph and stops the egg from adhering to the shell.

Try it!!!!

This is by far the best method I have ever used for making easy-to-peel hard "boiled" eggs, and believe me I've tried 'em all....the hole-poking method, the add-the-salt method, the add-vinegar method, the boil-old-eggs method, although I have to admit I never even heard of the add-baking-soda method. But why waste salt, vinegar and baking soda when water alone will do? With this method, a few were still a tiny bit hard to peel but nowhere near as hard as with other methods. And with this method NONE of the eggs got torn up, even the ones that were a little harder to peel. I have to admit I did not use eggs laid the same day with this method..... That'll be my next experiment.

I got this off Recipezaar.com by a poster named "Secret Agent."

Put eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer. Do not allow eggs to come to a boil (although I did). Leave at a simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, dump hot water and fill pan with cool water several times until eggs are cool enough to be handled. Cover the pot and gently shake pan up and down until the hard sound of the eggs hitting the pot changes to the softer sound of cracked eggs hitting the pot. Fill pot again with cold water and drain (I didn't do this step.) Shells should slide right off.

HTH!

P.S. In case it matters, the eggs I used were totally at room temperature.

Last edited:
That is sort of what I am now doing and it works great. I use the method in the Storey's Guide. I am so glad I found it!
wee.gif

Basically it is boil eggs, dump hot water, roll eggs around in pan to crack eggs all over, fill with ice cold tap water (this step shrinks the egg a bit and pulls it away from the shell), wait 5 minutes, peel!
love.gif

There was a HUGE discussion about this awhile back. I tried the method suggested and it works - perfectly. In fact I have spread the news to friends and they are successful too. NO salt, vinegar or piercing!. Bring water to boil, lower each egg into the water with a slotted spoon. Set timer for 15-17 minutes, (I use 17 if over 12 eggs) keep water gently boiling, do not cover. Remove from heat and immediately dump boiling water and cover with cold water, do this a couple times. Add some ice to the water and let stand a few minutes. They will peel perfectly then or later, doesn't matter. I only have brown eggs so I know this works on them. The best part is that there isn't any gray around the yolk. This works with eggs fresh out of the nest or older. I have been boiling eggs all my life and this is the easiest method and most efficient I have found. I get called a lot from my church for deviled eggs for special events and now I can take perfectly peeled eggs!
Gram

I may be new to having chickens but not new to cooking eggs. I totally agree with Grams. I take mine straight from the fridge to boiling water, only I gently drop em in the water to lightly crack the shell. Then when the eggs are done I drain and cover with ICE WATER change the water a couple of times to get them cooled fast. It is my opinion that the rapid temp changes helps to seperate them and meke em easy to peel. I can normally take the cooked eggs tap each end on the counter top then lay them down and roll with the palm of my hand while gently pushing down and the egg will roll right out of the shell.
GOOD LUCK

I use fresh eggs right from the chicken house and have no problems. I steam them! Put the water in the bottom pan put eggs in top as soon as you see water boiling cover and boil 15 minutes. I peel mine under cold water. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom