I crossed a cream legbar with a ----- and this is what I got

I love the colors. do you know exactly what you crossed ? I love hybrids.
My legbar roo made it through the winter in very good shape. I am currently collecting eggs to hatch. his ladies right now are 2 black polish and a splash frizzled cochin. I plan on setting them this week. I am hoping for barred polish and frizzled legbar hybrids.

His breeding was complicated- he is the product of an out cross, a sibling cross and back crosses ( in no specific order). His color is due to the dominant white gene. Dominant white can produce a variation in color. He is actually a black bird with the red feathers showing through the black.

Tim

Crossed a CCL roo with some hatchery straight comb lt. br. leghorn hens Hatched seven- six pullets,one dark almost black with red/gold in the hackle, the five others grey/brown with the salmon breast feathering and one rooster, almost black with the red/gold hackle. All are crested. got my first pullet egg yesterday (at 20 weeks). A beautiful shade of blue.
that is good to know. I am crossing white leghorns with the legbar roo. We are hoping for blue layers.

anyone cross a cream legbar with a Marans? I would be curious to see what they would like. I suppose they would be some pretty olive-eggers.
that will all depend on the type of maran...

CCL male crossed with a cuckoo maran female will produce cuckoo maran looking chicks and will look like cuckoo maran when adults but with a leaner body, the hens will lay nice dark green eggs.

if crossed with to black copper marans(CCL roo x BCM hen) will produce gold cuckoo maran looking birds(chicks and adults) with with a leaner body, the hens will lay nice dark green eggs..

if cross to a Wheaten Maran hen, this cross will produce crele looking males and crele looking females(eWh/e+ females can look intermediate beetween full wheaten and full wildtype) the hens will lay nice dark green eggs

anyone cross a cream legbar with a Marans? I would be curious to see what they would like. I suppose they would be some pretty olive-eggers.
I would love to know the genetics of that cross also. I have a blue copper maran cockerel. he would be blue black splash breeding. the only barring would come from the hen.

I would love to know the genetics of that cross also.  I have a blue copper maran cockerel.  he would be blue black splash breeding.  the only barring would come from the hen.
the blue-egg gene is carried by the Male: so any blue-egg breed Roo will pass it on to his daughters. That's the shell base color. The dark brown of the Marans eggshell is actually the outer layer called the "bloom"... I guess this is carried by the hen since a dark egg layer crossed to a Roo of CCL or an Araucana (the ancestral component of the CCL that gives them the blue egg), or an Ameraucana produces an "olive egger." Right?

the blue-egg gene is carried by the Male: so any blue-egg breed Roo will pass it on to his daughters.
The Blue egg shell gene(O) is carried by both gender, this gene is Autosomal(no sexlink) and both of genders carry 2 copies of it, so in this case if he use a maran rooster over a Cream Legbar hen then the hens of this cross will carry one copy of the blue egg shell gene

I have 3 test eggs in the bator . legbar rooster over white leghorns. I candled last night and all 3 are fertile.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom