I don't know which is worse! UPDATE - JUST A FEW MORE LEFT...

Quote:
I'm new here, so this may be a bit of a cliche.

CHICKEN!!!!

yuckyuck.gif

LOL!
lau.gif
Yes...I AM CHICKEN! And coyotes EAT chickens! So I had to come inside...plus, I kept having visions of "our owl" (who pops up at night and watches the house from the fence to the horse pasture, hence he was become "our owl") swooping down and flying off with a perfectly plucked chicken and I am also too greedy to share with any owls! So me and the rest of the flock, well, we hid in the house while I finished the job!

Had a friend pick up 5 live ones today...that leaves just 2 lonely birds out there...headed to freezer camp soon...like tomorrow if I don't get sidetracked...it's nice to have that much chicken in the freezer again
smile.png
Been a long while round here since we have!

Remembering another thread, I have to ask. Did you freeze them right away, planning to give them a good, invigorating massage later?

lau.gif
LOL - I massage and wiggle the legs BEFORE I freeze so they will be positioned JUST RIGHT in the bag! But yup, every run got a good rub down and is now in the freezer...except the last 2...we shall be discussing their arrangements in a few hours as well!

Hey Eggs...I'm in the same predicament of processing birds this weekend. Hopefully, this warm weather will hold out. I absolutely know what you mean about hating Texas winters. This past summer was the pits, but I can tolerate 112 degrees much better than 39 with a cold rain. Ugh. Had I seen your post last week, and not lived quite so far away, I may have taken you up on the tamale offer
droolin.gif

I have 23 Cornish crosses at 6 weeks today. Average weight is 5# 12oz. I plan to do 1/2 on Sunday and the rest either Christmas eve, or the following monday. I like to rest them in the fridge before freezing, and don't have room for all. The freezer is going to be full this year.
wee.gif
A friend gave us 1/2 of a big deer, we got a bunch of fish at the coast this fall, along with 10 pounds of shrimp fresh off of the boat. It's so nice to know what you are eating.
Kathy

KathyK - I KNOW! It's crazy here! Last week I was shivering and my teeth were clacking together about to fall out my head it was so cold! And today - i am freaking sweating as I run around trying to get stuff done outside! The weather here is just nuts! I would rather sweat though - at least I can feel my fingers when it's warm
smile.png

Good luck with yours, looks like here we may be in for more rain this weekend, and cooler temps to boot! So I am glad I got everything done
smile.png
That freezer full of meat sure does help motivate you though doesn't it?

Quote:
I can tell you that I learned, in my years supervising letter carriers in Bangor, ME, I learned something folks don't think much about. The crew, as a whole, much preferrred winter over summer. Nasty as they can be, especially with the cold winds that typically follow one of our nor'easters, the crew much preferred winter to summer.

You can dress in layers for the winter. There ain't any gettin' out of the summer heat.

That's what I keep telling the hubby. I can keep putting layers on but there's only so many clothes to take off and at 115 degrees it's still too hot, even butt naked.
I've gone skiing and fox hunting in sub-sub-zero weather and can stay warm when dressed properly. Can't even garden for 15 minutes when it starts getting too hot.

IHOP, the reason you remember being comfy in a hoodie and shorts in SoCal winters is because you were a *kid*
lol.png

I used to swim in the water off the coast of Santa Barbara, CA when I was a kid... don't remember freezing my tooshie off, but in retrospect I must have been a lovely color of blue before I got out of the water.

this is my first winter in MO and and everyone has been warning me that I'm really going to regret moving from the SanDiego area, but it's mid-december, almost 10 at night, and it's 60degrees out... 60. how the heck does that happen? of course last week it was in the 17-20 degree overnight all week. the snow was nice though.

I've found as long as I'm moving I'm fine... I bundle up to go out when it's cold, but within 2 minutes I'm taking off layers... I heat up fast. a couple of days ago it was maybe 40 and I had all the vest and sweater layers off down to my Tshirt all afternoon. and I don't have to be working hard, just in motion. on the other hand, my hubby, who's canadian, gets cold fast and stays cold. he refers to me as his thermo-nuclear heater.
big_smile.png

this summer's humidity was a new experience for me though... I thought I'd never stop sweating!

when I was growing up we processed the ducks in the kitchen... and while my chilly hubby has never offered to dress a deer in the livingroom, he's threatened to repair things like the chipper and the chainsaw in there!

yeah, we might be slightly redneck here too...

Hey IHOP, I woke up this morning and there is a nice pretty frost covering everything! I let the dogs out and could see their breath. Its a chilly 22 here. But I would much rather go bundle up in my coat, hat and gloves than walk out in 114* heat with flys buzzing. I wear long johns under my jeans and I stay nice and warm.

Back
Top Bottom