I give up.. Austrolorps

4ofus

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2015
New Zealand
Can anyone help me as Im just about to give up on my Aussies, as much as I love them they are doing my head in! They are going broody alll the time, they get 'timeout' but they are only good for a couple of days & then they are back to their old ways! I have 6 hens & 5 pullets they are taking up alot of my time lugging them in & out of timeout. thanks for any bright ideas :)

Well Timeout sure isn't going to show them what they are doing wrong so when they go broody take there egg and set them outside and close the door once you get all the eggs hope this helps

thankyou for your reply...i have also found a huge thread on this, after my starter thread..sorry. trouble is these 3 at the moment scare the other hens from getting in a nest box & my pullets are just starting to lay! so I have to get them out of the coop to give the others a chance.

First, let me welcome you to BYC!

I used to have 2 BA's and one of them constantly went broody. I tried using a broody buster (you can find more on that using the Search function) with some limited success. Finally, I had to re-home her and her sister (that one was bullying the other birds). They were happier in their new home, my flock was happier and so was I without all drama.

I hope you have luck with yours!

I read something on asprin getting rid of broodiness. Though im not certain. I would do a lot of research before you gave then asprin.
Found it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/301500/naked-neck-turken-thread/15960#post_16512485
Broodiness is a matter of hormone changes within the hen and I would love to see some official documentation on that as it would be a great solution to broodiness if it actually works. But I would definitely want "official documentation" before tying it as aspirin is actually toxic to some animals such as cats.

Broodiness is a matter of hormone changes within the hen and I would love to see some official documentation on that as it would be a great solution to broodiness if it actually works. But I would definitely want "official documentation" before tying it as aspirin is actually toxic to some animals such as cats.
I read abit further in the thread & the poster said it hadn't worked :(

welcome-byc.gif

I'd say send them to me, but I think shipping would be outrageous
tongue.png
. I cherish broody hens!

I think selling them is the right thing. You'll find someone like me who really wants some broody hens and will happily pay for them or trade for good dependable layers.

Back
Top Bottom