I got mice problems.

I have an all metal trap that I leave along the wall that catches them and holds them. I go for weeks without catching any then catch a whole litter in 1 night. Just place it along a wall and it is always working. Can not hurt our bantams.

Last edited:
Some of you guys are very lucky to have good cats. I wish I had good outdoor cat but I am afraid that all my cats are indoor and if you shut the door on them they freak out and could possibly run away.
sad.png

But i do like the bucket idea even though I dont like the thought of killing anything.

I realize that this is a very old post, but I'm just recently seeing oodles of mice and I need to get rid of them quickly. Some questions:
1. Have any of you tried the 5-gal buck trap?
2. How did it work for you?
3. @GreenGoddess: What time of day were you catching one per hour? I thought that during the day they were always sleeping in their hidey holes.
Your comments/suggestions welcome.

OMG!!! We have become over run with mice! I think they are now eating the eggs. About a week ago, I noticed when I went out into the pen there would be an egg on the floor under the nest boxes. Then two! Well, the two I found were the ones I was letting them sit on. So far I have lost countless eggs. My chickens don't seem to eat the mice or play with them. Apparently they are letting them go under them and take their eggs!!
Help!!!

The problem with outdoor cats is they usually kill small birds and other beneficial wildlife, I put out a small trap line of victor mousetraps to kill mice, I'm ok with outdoor cats if you don't feed them and they fend for themselves though, otherwise they are just another invasive species

The problem with outdoor cats is they usually kill small birds and other beneficial wildlife, I put out a small trap line of victor mousetraps to kill mice, I'm ok with outdoor cats if you don't feed them and they fend for themselves though, otherwise they are just another invasive species

I have had 2 outdoor cats, for years. 1 very tame and well behaved, she won't touch the chickens and she lives on my front porch. I set up a dog carrier with pillow and a towel over top as her bed. She watches the chickens during the day, naps, or helps herself to the catnip I planted in a far corner for her. The other is feral and only comes out at night to hunt. The neighborhood is over run with stray cats here from people dumping them. I just trapped 3 tomcats and they are being neutered right now. A lady across the street is also trapping as right now the females are either pregnant or in heat.. I will release the tomcats tomorrow. I use humane traps and all cats that I trap are spay/neutered and given rabies shots. I feed my cats in the morning, at dawn, to ensure they remain strong and healthy. At night they hunt mice, rats, snakes, and other pests which protects my chickens and geese. I think all the cats also deter the skunks and possum from coming in after the chickens as well. Managed properly, cats can be controlled and provide a public service. I work with a cat rescue, I pay $20 a cat for spay/neuter and shots, I catch kittens, tame them and send them off to the rescue for rehoming. I have even fostered kittens because I have 6 large dogs who Love cats and so the kittens end up dog friendly. Unfortunately not everyone is as responsible or soft hearted as my hubby says. No these were not cats I wanted, they were dumped, but that doesn't mean I should run them off to be someone else's problem or kill them. Instead I put them to work, I keep their shot files on hand and monitor them for signs of injury or illness. This will be my first year trying to manage a feral cat colony, but the cat rescue is teaching me and helping a lot.

I was running them off in the beginning. But I have learned that feral cats claim a set amount of territory and by chasing them out or removing them via trap I created a cat vacuum so to speak. So by release spay/neutered cats that vacuum will no longer exsist and the cats claiming my house as their territory will no longer be making babies or carring disease.

Last edited:
Mice are carriers for cholera, idk how susceptible chickens are to it but it will kill a whole flock of turkeys in no time (at least a flock in confinement, never had a free range flock)

Back
Top Bottom