I have 5 hens that aren't laying yet. Will they this year?

And 4 months old is too soon to start layer. Starting too soon can actually slow down their development, due to the lower protein content in it. And no, just because one starts does not mean that the others will.

I use red light instead of white light for the same reason people use red bulbs in a brooder. It's more calming than harsh white light, and often the chickens will keep on sleeping when the timer comes on instead of getting down off the perch and partying.
But I don't think the red light stimulates the pineal gland like white light does....thus will not work to spur winter laying.

I have Croad Langshan Roos and hens hatched 4/22 and the Roos have been crowing for several weeks now (they have almost perfected the song of their people
1f601.png
). But the hens... nada! I have 3 ducks that were raised with them The hens don't even seem interested in the nesting boxes. I've added more boxes in different places to see which the like best ... so far ... nothing I've found a couple duck eggs with a hole in it this week... it was a hole in the shell... Did not break the membrane. I'm worried the hens may be eating what they lay. They have an auto feeder and auto waterer so they aren't without. They get snacks of fresh veggies or mealworms I haven't supplemented their calcium yet since they weren't laying but I guess I'll try that next. I wonder when they will start laying??? Anyone familiar with Croad Langshan

Crowing means nothing as far as maturity. I have had a 1 DAY old male crowing and have posted a video of it many times here. Males crow when they want to.

I wouldn't expect eggs before 6 months. Some of my breeder birds don't lay until 8 months.

I've been waiting impatiently too. I'm seeing the bright red combs and the wattles are getting more pronounced and bright red enough that I thought I had a couple of injured birds, but I haven't checked the pelvic bones. I have a Wyandotte, a Buff Orpington, and an Easter Egger. They're all roughly 4 1/2 months old. The Orpington has been "squatty" lately. When I let them out in the yard she'll dig herself a little recess, squat and stay there for quite some time. I've been checking the nesting boxes, but nothing yet. I've heard the "4 to 6 months old" tale, so I was hoping it would happen sooner. I've started them on layer feed, oyster shell, and they free range in the yard for a few hours every day. They seem to be happy and healthy.
Should I expect all three to start laying at about the same time? I guess what I'm asking is; Will one laying "jump start" the other two, even if they are different breeds?

I'd expect 6 months. Light is decreasing right now, and that can postpone them beginning to lay.

And no, they will lay when their bodies are mature enough. One beginning to lay will not trigger the others. I've had one pullet not lay until 11 months. She laid eggs for a month, and then went broody.

Thanks for the information.
I'm mixing the layer feed with the grower feed, about 1 part layer to 3 parts grower. Waste-not, want-not. I'm thinking of going tto 1 (L) to 2 (G) in a couple of weeks, then 1 to 1, and the reversing the mixture to more layer until the grower feed is gone. That will put them at about 7 months when they'll get all layer feed. I also give them scratch, meal worm cakes, and they free range in the yard & gardens. I have a small hobby green house where I'm growing a variety of greens for them to nibble during the winter. They'll stip an 18" long planter box in a matter of minutes, so I'm trying my best to stagger my plantings to have something available every three days or so.
What are opinions regarding the "feather fixer" feeds? I believe that the molt is done and they appear to be full feathered.

Feed should be the majority of the diet, with extras not exceeding 10%. And if you are alreading cutting the grower with layer, and thereby diluting the overall protein content, you really shouldn't be giving any scratch or other low protein things. Honestly, it would be best to not feed the layer at all until they are all laying.

Thanks for the information.
I'm mixing the layer feed with the grower feed, about 1 part layer to 3 parts grower. Waste-not, want-not. I'm thinking of going tto 1 (L) to 2 (G) in a couple of weeks, then 1 to 1, and the reversing the mixture to more layer until the grower feed is gone. That will put them at about 7 months when they'll get all layer feed. I also give them scratch, meal worm cakes, and they free range in the yard & gardens. I have a small hobby green house where I'm growing a variety of greens for them to nibble during the winter. They'll stip an 18" long planter box in a matter of minutes, so I'm trying my best to stagger my plantings to have something available every three days or so.
What are opinions regarding the "feather fixer" feeds? I believe that the molt is done and they appear to be full feathered.

I used feather fixer last year, mixed in with their feed. I normally feed flockraiser (20% protein) to my birds. The feather fixer is less protein (18%), so I'm not sure how much good it did. I have mixed in game bird starter (30% protein) with flockraiser during them molting and have had really good results with that.

Meal worms are great protein, but I agree on cutting the scratch right now.

Back
Top Bottom