I have 5 hens that aren't laying yet. Will they this year?

In addition to reddening combs, check your pullets' knobby butt bones on either side of the vent. Less than two fingers width and it will be a bit yet before they will be ready to lay. Two fingers width, and you should expect them to be ready soon.

Feeding layer ration does not make hens lay eggs. It's just a lower protein/higher calcium formula to support strong egg shells. It's not even necessary for laying hens as long as they're getting oyster shell free choice in addition to an all-flock feed. Those of us with mixed flocks don't even bother with layer feed, and my hens turn up their beaks at the taste, anyway.

If your pullets appear to be close to point of lay, you might try something I'm about to try. I have three six-month old EEs. Two of them are developing red combs and their butt bones are two fingers apart already. But the short days are conspiring against them starting to lay before February when the days will start getting long enough again to encourage egg laying.

What I did this morning was to get out a lamp fixture and a 60 watt red bulb (not a heat lamp!) These pullets occupy a coop with a three month old chick and a six-year old broody hen. I hung the lamp and plugged it into a timer set to come on two hours before sunrise. I wouldn't do this except that the older hen has pretty much completed her fall molt, so it's okay if she starts laying again. I'd rather not have the additional light stimulate egg laying before molt is completed which is hard on a hen's body. In a month, I will set the timer to come on three hours before sunrise to further extend the amount of light these pullets will be exposed to.

If this works, in a few weeks, I may be getting some pullet eggs! It beats waiting until February.

Again, I wouldn't recommend this if you have pre-point-of-lay pullets mixed in with older hens who are molting, although some people think nothing of supplementing light to encourage laying during molt. I have another coop inhabited by a full spectrum of hens of all ages in different stages of molt. They won't be getting any extra light until the last one completes her molt. By then they will probably be starting to lay again naturally, anyway.

What I did this morning was to get out a lamp fixture and a 60 watt red bulb (not a heat lamp!) These pullets occupy a coop with a three month old chick and a six-year old broody hen. I hung the lamp and plugged it into a timer set to come on two hours before sunrise. I wouldn't do this except that the older hen has pretty much completed her fall molt, so it's okay if she starts laying again. I'd rather not have the additional light stimulate egg laying before molt is completed which is hard on a hen's body. In a month, I will set the timer to come on three hours before sunrise to further extend the amount of light these pullets will be exposed to.
Why red instead of white light?

Agree with azygous.

Also, very few birds start laying at 5 months. I wouldn't be expecting any eggs until after 6 months. They will begin laying when their bodies are mature enough to lay.

I use red light instead of white light for the same reason people use red bulbs in a brooder. It's more calming than harsh white light, and often the chickens will keep on sleeping when the timer comes on instead of getting down off the perch and partying.

I've been waiting impatiently too. I'm seeing the bright red combs and the wattles are getting more pronounced and bright red enough that I thought I had a couple of injured birds, but I haven't checked the pelvic bones. I have a Wyandotte, a Buff Orpington, and an Easter Egger. They're all roughly 4 1/2 months old. The Orpington has been "squatty" lately. When I let them out in the yard she'll dig herself a little recess, squat and stay there for quite some time. I've been checking the nesting boxes, but nothing yet. I've heard the "4 to 6 months old" tale, so I was hoping it would happen sooner. I've started them on layer feed, oyster shell, and they free range in the yard for a few hours every day. They seem to be happy and healthy.
Should I expect all three to start laying at about the same time? I guess what I'm asking is; Will one laying "jump start" the other two, even if they are different breeds?

I have Croad Langshan Roos and hens hatched 4/22 and the Roos have been crowing for several weeks now (they have almost perfected the song of their people
1f601.png
). But the hens... nada! I have 3 ducks that were raised with them The hens don't even seem interested in the nesting boxes. I've added more boxes in different places to see which the like best ... so far ... nothing I've found a couple duck eggs with a hole in it this week... it was a hole in the shell... Did not break the membrane. I'm worried the hens may be eating what they lay. They have an auto feeder and auto waterer so they aren't without. They get snacks of fresh veggies or mealworms I haven't supplemented their calcium yet since they weren't laying but I guess I'll try that next. I wonder when they will start laying??? Anyone familiar with Croad Langshan

I've been waiting impatiently too. I'm seeing the bright red combs and the wattles are getting more pronounced and bright red enough that I thought I had a couple of injured birds, but I haven't checked the pelvic bones. I have a Wyandotte, a Buff Orpington, and an Easter Egger. They're all roughly 4 1/2 months old. The Orpington has been "squatty" lately. When I let them out in the yard she'll dig herself a little recess, squat and stay there for quite some time. I've been checking the nesting boxes, but nothing yet. I've heard the "4 to 6 months old" tale, so I was hoping it would happen sooner. I've started them on layer feed, oyster shell, and they free range in the yard for a few hours every day. They seem to be happy and healthy.
Should I expect all three to start laying at about the same time? I guess what I'm asking is; Will one laying "jump start" the other two, even if they are different breeds?
You have 5 month or later breeds. Only the high production sexlinks start 4 months, and that quite early, even for those types. Your Orpington and Easter Egger may not lay till well past 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom