I have a bald baby.

I'm now wondering, since you mentioned him breeding the colors and breeding profusely, if maybe there is some sort of color problem in chickens? Sort of like how double merles in dogs (and maybe other animals??) is a huge problem. Double merle of course being breeding a merle to a merle. Or maybe not color, maybe something else. Like I know natural bobtails in dogs can cause problems. Not always but sometimes. I think there's a certain gene or part of the disc and sometimes it's fine. Or how the curly pug tail is too tight sometimes/causes issues. And in Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers apparently the population is so bottlenecked atm it's basically like there's only 15 individuals I think was the number, know it was teens. Like there's thousands but it's so bottlenecked all the DNA comes from the equivalent of that, like there may as well only be 15 dogs, I think. Lack of genetic diversity. They're thinking of outcrossing to Australian Shepherds or spaniels or some similar breed. They have to outcross to save it but.obviously lots are opposed. I think they closed the studbooks too soon. Anyways, back to chickens, I'm not saying there is a lack of genetic diversity in the breed or a problem with colors (because why don't other breedings of the colors have similar results?), but it's all so interesting to me amd.would be interesting to see if there is something similar going on

I'm now wondering, since you mentioned him breeding the colors and breeding profusely, if maybe there is some sort of color problem in chickens? Sort of like how double merles in dogs (and maybe other animals??) is a huge problem. Double merle of course being breeding a merle to a merle. Or maybe not color, maybe something else. Like I know natural bobtails in dogs can cause problems. Not always but sometimes. I think there's a certain gene or part of the disc and sometimes it's fine. Or how the curly pug tail is too tight sometimes/causes issues. And in Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers apparently the population is so bottlenecked atm it's basically like there's only 15 individuals I think was the number, know it was teens. Like there's thousands but it's so bottlenecked all the DNA comes from the equivalent of that, like there may as well only be 15 dogs, I think. Lack of genetic diversity. They're thinking of outcrossing to Australian Shepherds or spaniels or some similar breed. They have to outcross to save it but.obviously lots are opposed. I think they closed the studbooks too soon. Anyways, back to chickens, I'm not saying there is a lack of genetic diversity in the breed or a problem with colors (because why don't other breedings of the colors have similar results?), but it's all so interesting to me amd.would be interesting to see if there is something similar going on
I've heard that brother sister breeding can cause flaws too...so I'm not sure exactly what he did there...

I've heard that brother sister breeding can cause flaws too...so I'm not sure exactly what he did there...

That too. Inbreeding. Although I think there's some way to breed relatives, line breeding or something, but not that close and not siblings. It's more distant and.organized. though some species it causes more issues. Like I think rats it's okay and maybe birds? I don't know

That too. Inbreeding. Although I think there's some way to breed relatives, line breeding or something, but not that close and not siblings. It's more distant and.organized. though some species it causes more issues. Like I think rats it's okay and maybe birds? I don't know
I'm not sure about hers but I know that none of the Cochin D'anver eggs hatched except 4 out if the last two hatches and buffy was one of them. All of the regular lavender Cochin eggs of hers hatched and all but 3 of my buffs have hatched. I broke 2 and 1 was the first lay. So I dunno.

as you can see buffy is the smallest of all the new hatches. And big ol streak is huge compared to buffy.

I'm not sure about hers but I know that none of the Cochin D'anver eggs hatched except 4 out if the last two hatches and buffy was one of them. All of the regular lavender Cochin eggs of hers hatched and all but 3 of my buffs have hatched. I broke 2 and 1 was the first lay. So I dunno.
it will be interesting to see how they grow up

It can take several generations of intense line breeding and/or inbreeding for this sort of anomaly to start popping up with regularity. Chickens have a lot more genetic diversity than mammals.

It can take several generations of intense line breeding and/or inbreeding for this sort of anomaly to start popping up with regularity. Chickens have a lot more genetic diversity than mammals. 

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense because it seems like birds in general have so much variety or color variations. Parrots for instance. And like lacing and stuff showing up in breeds I didn't think had it. Whereas I think mammals is more solid colors? Or like Labs can be mosaic, which i think is really cool, but it's still just 2 colors mixed, like paint or "mosaic", or there exists a furry version of a Lab. But then like chickens can look so completely different or the different size combs and wattles and all that, and egg colors. Like I feel like there's a lot more variables. I can definitely see what you mean now.

Back
Top Bottom