I have a MAJOR fox problem hunting DURING THE DAY.

it could be, however, even if it was tame, i would think it would still show some sort of reaction when you try to scare it away. Wether it tries to fight back, run away, or play, it would do something. Distemper or rabies will make them not think straight including lack of reaction. It honestly could be anything, I would just personally play it safe unless im sure that its ok.

I can't say I'm familiar with rabies or distemper thankfully. Distemper is reasonably rare here thanks for dog vaccinations and we don't have rabies so I was taking another view ;)
I'd be upset if a fox was stealing my girls. We had a dog attack one of our girls and I'm sure that lead to her dying several months later. Hopefully you can catch/kill the fox to save the rest of the flock.

I recommend that you call your DNR about this fox, and trap and shoot it (not in the head if possible) and find out if they want to necropsy it and test for rabies, even if none of you have a possible exposure. In Michigan, our DNR will have wild animals posted to monitor the health of local wildlife. Mary

Thank you all for your advice and input. we are trying to keep people outside as much as possible however it is nearly impossible to have someone outside all day and night. No sight of it again... yet. So I guess its a waiting game. Everyone will remain locked up tight for now. Going to have to cut some grass to spread in their run though, they are not happy to be locked up.

A few years ago we had a sick mangy fox kill ten nice laying hens one afternoon, seen by a nearby carpenter, who did nothing. The fox came back the next day at noon, but we couldn't get a good shot at him. I visited all the neighbors, and especially those with poultry, to warn them. A few days one of those neighbors (half a mile away!) was able to get a him, because they were warned. It might be a good idea to visit your neighbors too. Mary

Back
Top Bottom