i have a question about chicks and roost poles HELP B4 IT GETS DARK!!!

Keni*Sue

Songster
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Campobello
i just got 2 new chicks that are about 5 weeks old and one is smallish and i have them in a pen with a jersey giant chick that is older that they are but thats not what im worried about lol i am wondering how high the roost pole should be? right now its probably at 3 1\\2 - 4 feet but that seems too high for them especially the smallish one... so what would be a happy medium? the JG chick doesnt have a problem getting up there but i think the other 2 will
sad.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The new chicks will sleep just fine on the floor until you come up with something for them. I made a little perch with a branch from my yard, two nails and two scrap wood blocks. (and I have absolutely no skill at this stuff!) It is about five inches high and the chicks still use it all the time!

My baby chicks are 2 1/2wks old...and Ive got branches in the brooder to teach them...sure enough on there own...they are roosting....they are only 4-8" off the ground

None of mine roost before 8 weeks even when given the option. However they really shouldn't be outside in a pen. Even with grown chickens that's risky and you are pretty much guranteed to lose one, a few, or all at some time or another. They should be locked up in a building to truly be safe. Depending what the weather is like where you are 5 week olds might get too cold over night anyway.

Chickens' feet aren't designed to gold onto a round roost as many other birds' are. They will do better with the side side of a 2x4.

Back
Top Bottom