I have to talk POLISH!

Ssshhh we don't speak of squirrel tails around here. I'm kidding. But really yeah those uh, those I know people who don't breed for show or who don't really watch the standard don't care about, in fact I know family members who prefer the look of squirrel tails, but, I just . . . I'm tired of how common that flaw is, it makes breeding for a nice bird very hard for me. The reason being that it's just as common in Tolbunts as it is in their common breeding buddies, the laced Polish. Also, standard aside, even if I wasn't breeding towards it, I just don't like the look on Polish. Sorry folks who do.

Ditto.

I'm having a heck of a time reaching SOP over here. My Goose is looking good so far, but the others, not so much. The SL's all have some smudging or peppering in the tails, but I finally am happy with the body and tail set. I am really hoping for one good Tolbunt roo. If' it's not one of these two, I may give up and keep working on my SL to try to get rid of the smudging.

So, you breed pure silver laced? Have rooster pics at all? I'm expecting several silver laced cockerels in the mail this week, super excited, and in the mean time just like to fawn at images of half decent to decent hatchery stock silver laced birds, since you know, exhibition bred SL are about as rare as hen's teeth. There's not enough pictures of silver laced Polish on the internet, I say! Also, I love the head on that hen shown earlier. Nice head!

For me and Tolbunt males, I'm harsh. I need to be. My standards of a good roo are pretty picky, and I've yet to see one, even among my own as much as I love them, that I'd consider "good." The white in the tail and secondaries as well as primaries is a really really common thing I've yet to shake. Had some males who grew up with nothing wrong apart from maybe one solid white primary, then boom. . . After a year old, suddenly there's white everywhere. I understand that mottling naturally gets whiter as the bird ages, but man, good mottling just doesn't exist in most Tolbunts. Ever seen photos of nicely mottled Houdan males that are fully mature? I'm tellin' ya, good mottling on a crested bird exists. . . It's out there, just waiting to be spread into the Tolbunt genes!
lol.png

Edited to add, females are another story of course. I've seen amazing hens with amazing mottling. Just, not males. Tolbunts, that is.

Last edited:
My last SL roo met the cone a few weeks ago. He was stunning. Also mean as the dickens. I can't justify breeding an evil tempered bird, so I am going to have to hatch again to see what I get this time.
The only pic I have of him on this computer is when he was still a young guy. Not a good pic, that's for sure.

Aww that's a shame. He was a handsome guy for sure! And I hear you on that. . . . One of my fears with getting uncommon breeds, especially hatchery stock, is having aggressive males. I've been so lucky for years with having absolutely no aggressive genetics going on around here, but there were recently a couple times I purchased some beautiful males, a crele Polish even, who ended up sneakily or up-front mean. They uh, they had to go. The crele boy was sneaky about it. He was great with the hens, and overall a quiet guy, but several times I'd walk out in the pasture and he'd stalk me for a while, then when I had my back turned long enough, out come the spurs.

He was great until the past few months then started stealth attacks. The day he decided to go after the back of hubby's head while he was crouched down working in the pen was the roos last day. As he was the only roo that I had kept, I am now without a SL roo. darn it all.....

I am looking forward to seeing your new birds, make sure to post them right away, please.

Oh definitely! And I hope you get a nice replacement soon. I've been on the hunt for silver laced boys for years but am too stubborn (and sometimes too short on money) to go with a full batch from a hatchery order, so, I'm considering myself excited and lucky. Serious fingers crossed for no aggression in them. I'll let them all mature for several months, then choose a lucky one to keep. I wish I could get the others homes instead of processing them, honestly. I want to see more beautifully patterned Polish out there.

Ok pics from today. I am almost positive it's a boy. :( i cant keep boys.

OK polish talkers!! I may need help!! I purchased tolbunt polish eggs that will b here the 17th. Annnd then I'm told in passing while I'm all excited quote"those are very difficult to hatch"?? Please if there are any special consideration s needed...well I need them lol! All advice wud b greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom