I have to talk POLISH!

Pics

HighNDryFarm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Paradise, CA
OK, so the Polish thread got locked but I NEED to talk Polish! I've been learning so much about this breed, have my first breeding stock and they're just old enough for me to start getting input on what they bring to the table and then........we get put in Lockdown!
he.gif

So I'm starting this thread until they do what they need to do to the other one.

My 1st question on this guys is that he has a very "V" comb! Good? Bad? Doesn't matter? Breed to a hen with a very small comb? Keep him as my lap bird (because that's where he spends his time)? I have other questions with all my birds but wanted to start with this question on this bird.
312722_10150355856944028_767184027_8241813_950082350_n.jpg

2nd Question: This boy is a "Black Self"? He has the smallest wattles and comb of all the other roo's. He does have a bit of orange in his saddle feathers. What does he bring to the table?
166946_146883942075560_139312046166083_211247_286154068_n.jpg

I posted about this 5 toeded boy a while back on the closed thread, someone thought he could be a rare breed....she asked to post a picture of him but I just got around to take more picks. Here's Mr T with one of my WCB roo's. The WCB's name is Angel. His crest is very large and when he looks right at you, it looks like angel wings so my 3 year old granddaughter named him Angel
300154_146883995408888_139312046166083_211248_1000234808_n.jpg

Just to throw a girl in here, but it's not a good picture, I cut her tail off, here's Cher:
294597_146885492075405_139312046166083_211253_1422709959_n.jpg

I am asking for critique so please do.
big_smile.png

Hi All,

Just found my way over to this thread and have been reading it on my Nook for the past couple of days (I'm laid up with an injury right now, so lots of time to read!) Anyway, now that I'm at my computer, I thought I'd share pics of my sweet boy, Bowie. He's 6 months old and I've had him since he was 5 days old. He has recently moved out of my kitchen and now lives with the Big Girls, as I call them (my laying hens) in the coop outside. They all get to free-range on my mini farm for most of the day. Bowie is an absolute hoot! I know he's just a pet, but I'm not into showing anyway and all of my chooks are pets that provide me with breakfast! LOL So basically, it doesn't matter a whit to me that he's not show quality...I think he's so handsome and he's just the sweetest guy ever! He follows me around and asks to be carried and pampered like a little lap dog. He found his voice early in life...he had a full-blown "Cock-a-doodle-doo" crow from the time he was 8 weeks old, in my kitchen, no less! Who needs alarm clocks, anyway? Now, he's living with 4 Australorp and 4 Red Star hens. I'll let him be a Daddy a few times in the future, just to replenish my own "herd" of chickens. Those crosses should be pretty entertaining!
Anyway, here he is!

This is where Bowie often likes to put himself to "bed" until I come outside and close up the coop for the night! I have to fish him out of there and tuck him in with his girls. It's his Man Cave, or as I refer to it, Bowie's Man Basket. Yes, I know my petunias are dead.

He is so long-legged! He looks like a roadrunner when he's trotting across the yard or paddock!

I just thought this was such a cute picture of him as a baby. He was 9 weeks old here. He still thinks, to this day, that he should be a Couch Chicken.

Thanks for indulging a proud mama!

Katja

Oh yes... I 'm getting 4 Silikes too and I have to get a roo in those. I picked my Silkie chicks out of a bunch of strait run and wound up with all pullets so I need a rooster.

If you tie them up tight, it will break or bend the feather just like over using a hair rubberband will on human hair. I cut in the winter but we free range and I don't want them to have such limited visibility because of hawks. The white crests are a perfect bullseye. If you cut, what they have is what it is until the next molt. I prefer to cut a little on my show birds for their health. They are so thick, it can cause eye infections and attracts mites more easily. Take it out frequently if you tie. You wouldn't want a too tight ponytail for two months straight.

I have finally gotten all of my polish together...they are all pure but will be mixed colored. I have a pure gold laced, 3 pure gold hens, 1 buff, 1 blue splash, 1 crele hen. what colors were mixed to get crele? I did have a crele rooster but he died in the last ice storm...I am so glad I had Big John to put in with my girls. I'm not hatching right now but I can't wait to hatch my polish to see what I get...I am crossing my fingers that I will start getting lots of eggs soon.

So at almost 3 and a half weeks, should Einstein be getting wattles yet? I'm not seeing any. Could he be a she??

To be honest i looked at the pictures you have put up and Einstein is starting to look like a girl. its top notch feathers are starting to flair out more like a pullet, for a polish rooster, they dont have as full of a back notch feather and the feathers would be standing up straight more then out.. So i believe you got your self a cute little pullet in development..
yay! And thanks! She is very nosy and loves to hijack peoples shoulders if they bend down for to long.

Was a pleasure to be helpfull, i've had so many Polish's i've been able to start telling Hen's from Roosters even as babies now, cause 2 babies that are now 2 months old i called it witch one was going to be a pullet and what one is going to be a rooster.. once you get used to them and watch them grow you will be able to start telling there sex by 1.5-2 months for sure. and once you figure it out more you can tell even as babies but i'm not always 100% correct :p

Back
Top Bottom