I have to talk POLISH!

Sbucciarel, Your polish are so cute!!
I FINALY got some wc cuckoo out of the eggs I bought, out of 13 eggs I had 2 wc blacks so tried a different breeder and they all hatched !!
2 wc cuckoo chicks

I bought 2 wc chocolate hens yesterday
Cuckoo + cuckoo
Cuckoo
+ black
Cuckoo + blue
Cuckoo + chocolate

All Large Fowl
This is what I will be breeding next spring when my chicks are all grown up, Is blue supposed to be complicated to breed, Does anyone know what should I be getting out of cuckoo X blue? will I be getting any other colours?

Sbucciarel, Your polish are so cute!!
I FINALY got some wc cuckoo out of the eggs I bought, out of 13 eggs I had 2 wc blacks so tried a different breeder and they all hatched !!
2 wc cuckoo chicks

I bought 2 wc chocolate hens yesterday
Cuckoo + cuckoo
Cuckoo
+ black
Cuckoo + blue
Cuckoo + chocolate

All Large Fowl
This is what I will be breeding next spring when my chicks are all grown up, Is blue supposed to be complicated to breed, Does anyone know what should I be getting out of cuckoo X blue? will I be getting any other colours?
Not sure what you'll get but I bet it will be pretty!

This is my first obsession with chickens and breeding them. mycutekitties can probably tell you better about the genetics. I got a second shipment of chicks from her and in this batch, I did get two cuckoos. I was really glad to see that. I love that color.

I think I see the start of a little beard! I have to say, this is my first Polish chick and if she is any indication of the personalities for her breed...I will have many more. She is a crack up!

With her buddy a cochin pullet:

These are my Polish/ cochin crosses any guess at gender? they are about 3 mos old. I think this one is a girl

I think the other two are boys but not sure
boy 1?

boy 2?

The last time I got chicks some how I got 5 out of 6 roosters. Both of my polish are roo's.
hu.gif

darn...I lucked out and got 5 out of 6 females!!!! I could not believe my luck and thought immediately.... now someone has to get a bunch of boys!!!! then I got pay back with my runner ducks...I got 9 and only 2 are girls! ARRGGG! haha I have never gotten half and half haha go figure!

Hey guys,
we got two pet WC Blue Polish in the mail from Ideal Hatchery this morning. One has some gray on it's body and one is solid yellow. I know we won't be able to tell much until they get older, but I'm just curious if anyone knows the coloring at birth to indicate sex or even blue vs. black vs. splash in this particular variety.
Thanks!

Hey guys,
we got two pet WC Blue Polish in the mail from Ideal Hatchery this morning.  One has some gray on it's body and one is solid yellow.  I know we won't be able to tell much until they get older, but I'm just curious if anyone knows the coloring at birth to indicate sex or even blue vs. black vs. splash in this particular variety.
Thanks!

Your solid yellow is likely a splash.....you should post pics for opinions on gender, color is not really a factor as much as crest.....and in about 4-5 weeks wattles...

What I am having trouble wrapping my mind around is the statement that ALL flocks have been exposed. If so, why are you having so much more trouble with this than others?
I can't agree on all flocks being exposed either. If you have only hatched eggs, or bought hatchery chicks, you would most likely be Marek's free. If you have bought any birds that have been in contact with other people's flocks, you would have a chance that Marek's would be in your flock. If all your chickens are older, and you buy a chicken, you may not have any deaths, and not know that your flock has been exposed.

Most of this information is "most likely" info because nothing is 100% with Marek's. Some die, some do not. There are many different symptoms or no symptoms. Paralysis is not the most common, it's the most common recognised. The paralysis most likely shows up in younger birds. The wasting show up most likely in older birds over a year old. But not all the time.

Since there is no test, we must rely on flock history, patterns of death, and symptoms.

Jessy, I never gave alot of thought to serotypes and virulence, but you have an interesting point, that vaccine does not cover it all. I'm sorry you've been dealing with it too.

Leadwolf, I wonder if it's possible to check into giving several different vaccines to cover more strains, or asking a hatchery what their vaccine is and if it covers more than what is sold to us..

Back
Top Bottom