I junked up my yard! lol!

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
I bought some netting so my chickens can go outside in a larger area. I figured I would just roll it up after they had a couple hours each day, but after doing that once, that’s a no go for me! And the dogs wanted what the chickens left behind! 🤢

I used what I had on hand and I even got a few raised garden beds out of the deal! They also love drinking out of the huge water tray I put in there. I was thinking maybe they would go in the water, but they haven’t. Will chickens walk in the water?

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1639.jpeg
    IMG_1639.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
I was thinking maybe they would go in the water, but they haven’t. Will chickens walk in the water?
they instinctively know they can't swim, so most are cautious around water. If you put some big stones in the tub and a plank so they can get in and out easily, they might explore it, but as it is, it might appear to them to be a death trap.

they instinctively know they can't swim, so most are cautious around water. If you put some big stones in the tub and a plank so they can get in and out easily, they might explore it, but as it is, it might appear to them to be a death trap.
Thanks. It’s not deep at all, I’ll put some rocks in there so they can see it isn’t deep. Thank you.

Not all chickens like water but many do. I've had hens out walking on the surface of my pond before (very dense aquatic weeds). Since the water tray is decently large and black they might have a hard time telling if it's safe to go in, so some bricks or rough stones to provide safe footing in the middle might help entice them in.

Yes, my chickens finally went in the water tray! I gave them a 1/2 of a boiled egg to share and they flung it everywhere! Some got into their water tray and they went in! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom