I just found out that chickens seem to respond to/enjoy music? Share any stories you have!

I don't know if they actually like it, but I have three songs I sing to them. The "Good Morning, Chickens" song, the "Momma Has Some Chickie Snack" song, and the "Good Night, Chickens" song. :gig

At least they know who's coming into the run...
I used to sing my chickens goodnight! lol

I played various music for our Cornish cross.

Rolling Stones(any): hated it. Clucking loudly and moving away from the speaker. Lip envy?

Shrek soundtrack especially “Hallelujah”: mellow, curious, some would come sit near the speaker. If they had Bics, I think they would have held them up as they rocked back and forth.

Elton John like “Rocket Man” and “Crocodile Rock”: panic every time. Only tried a few times. A good choice if I wanted them to get exercise or clear their bowels.

Shakira (any): no dramatic reaction, just a little chirping. But it always seemed like everybirdy would get hungry during “Hips Don’t Lie”. No joke.

After some experimentation I ended up with a daily soundtrack of Shrek, Shakira, Lee Ann Rimes, Black Eyed Peas, and a few others. It just depended on their reactions to the music.

This isn’t one my chickies particularly like, but I wrote it for them! 😂 (Way back when, when we decided we were going to start our chicken journey.) It’s to the tune I’ve Been Working on the Railroad. (And it had been a particularly craptastic day at work, so it kinda took a turn there at the end, lol!)

AH - CHICKENS

I can’t wait to get our chickens

We’ll raise them for eggs

They will be so cute and tiny

Little puffy balls with legs.

We don’t want no rotten roosters.

They make lots of noise!

We only want the girl birds,

Certainly not no boys!

Now we gotta wait

Til it warms a bit

And we still wait mor-or-ore

((Repeat)

Finally we bring home the baby peeps

And we get to watch them grow-ow-ow

As they grow up and get bigger,

We hear one of them starting to crow!

Rrrr rrrrrr rrrrr rrrrr rrrrr rrrrr

And a cock a doodle do do do do do

Rrrr rrrrrr rrrrr rrrrr rrrrr rrrrr

It’s a boy! Oh no! What to do?

We put everybody outside

They loved their new space

Well, everybody but one

He was full of hate me

He would chase us down and peck us

Act like a rude winner

He seemed to want to kill us

We brought him here for dinner.

Won’t you come right in?

We’ve got just the place for you!

Right here where it’s war-ar-arm

Go ahead and rest

Lay your head right down

We’ll be eating soon!

Soon the oven timer, it goes off

Time to eat! Dinner is do-o-o-one

Roast Rooster it is for dinner

Our homegrown, very first one!

In the shelters we had these CDs donated to us called “Through a Dog’s Ear” or something like that to help dogs settle down via classical music played and selected to help them relax. Worked like a charm- I’d pop that CD in the player and we would set it by the entry to the kennels, and they’d get so quiet and go to sleep. It makes me want to order more of those CDs for the chickens and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom