I just found out that chickens seem to respond to/enjoy music? Share any stories you have!

Well, from my observation:

1) I’ll be experimenting with a small radio out in the coop soon enough
2) seems we have several here in this thread that might be closet fans of Dr. Demento, Wierd Al, Byrd & McDowell, and other parody artists.

3) our dogs show comparable reactions to when I have the Jazz station, Classical or other mix stations on the house radio…

Wondering how it went for you after a recent like to my response drew my attention back to the thread. I recently found “Through a Dog’s Ear” and “Through a Cat’s Ear” actually in Spotify and downloaded the music for our cats on there. I will say if I play the dog’s album that is reggae for the cats, they seem to get really energetic and want to run around and play. But classical music seems to calm them and relax them.
To be honest I wonder if, for someone who maybe plays music when they’re out working in the yard or around the birds, if you made a playlist of the type of music you listen to then, if it would help comfort them by hearing a familiar tune.

In the shelters we had these CDs donated to us called “Through a Dog’s Ear” or something like that to help dogs settle down via classical music played and selected to help them relax. Worked like a charm- I’d pop that CD in the player and we would set it by the entry to the kennels, and they’d get so quiet and go to sleep. It makes me want to order more of those CDs for the chickens and see what happens
My family raises guide dog puppies. The puppies are transported to and from the Guide Dog campus in a trailer that’s a mobile kennel/clinic. They play music for the puppies during the whole journey. We asked last time we were at the truck what they played and they told us it was a mix made specifically for dogs. I don’t know what all was in it but I thought was the sweetest thing. They take such good care of the pups.

My duck gets super stressed when I treat her bumblefoot, so I started singing to her. Just random songs that come into my head at the moment, and she cocks her little head to look at me and relaxes. I don't blame her for being scared, and I'm sure she has to hurt. Poor girlie. Glad I could give her some comfort. I just wanna give her a big old hug but she probably wouldn't like that too much. :(:hugs

My duck gets super stressed when I treat her bumblefoot, so I started singing to her. Just random songs that come into my head at the moment, and she cocks her little head to look at me and relaxes. I don't blame her for being scared, and I'm sure she has to hurt. Poor girlie. Glad I could give her some comfort. I just wanna give her a big old hug but she probably wouldn't like that too much. :(:hugs
Awwww! :love

I play music/reddit stories on the way home when getting chicks from the post office.

Usually they quiet right down to soft rustling of feet and small chirps.

Today, one of the songs I played was "Wolf Totem" by The Hu and Jacoby Shaddix. It's a song with both English and Mongolian lyrics as well as traditional Instruments. I noticed 2 things:
1) there is a hawk cry at the end and one of the Instruments sounds like a hawk occasionally in the song. The chicks went deathly silent. No chirps, no rustling.
2) one of the Mongolian singers has a part where he sounds like a broody hen growl. The chicks started up those happy chirps like when they talk to mama when he was singing those parts

I play music/reddit stories on the way home when getting chicks from the post office.

Usually they quiet right down to soft rustling of feet and small chirps.

Today, one of the songs I played was "Wolf Totem" by The Hu and Jacoby Shaddix. It's a song with both English and Mongolian lyrics as well as traditional Instruments. I noticed 2 things:
1) there is a hawk cry at the end and one of the Instruments sounds like a hawk occasionally in the song. The chicks went deathly silent. No chirps, no rustling.
2) one of the Mongolian singers has a part where he sounds like a broody hen growl. The chicks started up those happy chirps like when they talk to mama when he was singing those parts
Thats so cool!

Back
Top Bottom