I just heard the "egg song" for the first time today!!

herechickychicky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Marion
I have waited and waited and waited and waited for the time to come when I can hear that song from my girls. I have seven hens and a rooster, all of which are about 24 weeks old. I have had two of my hens laying for about a month or so, a partridge rock and a golden laced wyandotte. No egg song. Today, my husband told me he heard "quite a racket" from the coop. So I went out there and my other GLW who hasn't laid yet is singing away while perched on top of the roost. "EGG! EGG! EGG! EGG!" She then jumped down and went into one of the boxes. Half an hour later, she is singing again, even louder than before. I check the box, and there's my third egg for the day. Her first egg, my first egg song. I am soooooo happy!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Isn't it fun to hear the egg song for the first time? I am a new chicken mom this year and my girls have been laying since late August and have been hearing the egg song for a while now. And STILL, after hearing it on a daily basis, I love to hear it!!

I am so happy for you!
celebrate.gif

I thought we were the only ones who called it the "egg song". It's so cool! We have a rooster named Seargent. He can always tell if it's one of his ladies and he'll answer her back from where ever in the yard he is..
D.gif
Congratulations!!

I think the phrase "egg song" is pretty funny. It sure doesn't sound much like a song to me. More like an egg tantrum or egg announcement, lol.
big_smile.png

Quote:
My rooster ( Vic Mackey ) was so funny. He acted like he was confused. It was as if he knew he ought to be doing something but doesn't know what. So he spent the whole time tilting his head this way and that way and quietly bok bok a couple of times and that was that. After she announced the egg's arrival he crowed right along with her singing. As if he had something to do with it.
lol.png

Do chickens "practice" the egg song? On a couple of occasions, I have heard a chorus of the egg song from my hens and they are only 16 weeks old. I know they aren't ready to start laying yet, but it was definitely a different song than the usual noise. It was more like a Bock Bock Bock Bock BaGock! And was repeated frequently. Maybe they are trying to encourage my 21 week old Quail D'Anver hen who is in a cage next to the brooder??? Silly birds!

Back
Top Bottom