I love my Mother- BUT...

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
I am watching my moms animals while she is vacationing in South Carolina...today I started cleaning out her basement. There are 40 years of 'stuff' down there. Literally. I found my baby toys from my baby years. And my brothers things- when we each moved out one by one, we did what teens do: we put the stuff we didnt want anymore in her basement. Well my baby brother is 22 and a dad of his own, now in his own house.

My mom is a hopeless pack rat. The kicker is that her basement floods. So, ninety percent of the items down there was nothing but pure garbage. I carried out 47 large bags of trash, and I have only done half the basement. I organized dishes, some antique, most pure garbage- however I didnt dare throw them out. I stacked cans of paint probably 25 years old- garbage, but I wouldnt dare. I did throw out all moldy-waterlogged books, toys, rollerblades, and iceskates etc.

I put all bags of receipts- some from 1970, in a big box for her to go through. I spent 11 hours down there going through everything and carrying out trash.

All her Christmas decorations, Halloween, Easter: organized. Warped records, albums- all stacked in a box. I found my deceased step-fathers discharge papers from Vietnam, and old life insurance papers where the beneficiary was his first wife in 1970. I didn't throw them out, I put them in a labeled box.

I started out excited by this surprise for her, but now I am mortified. I am not sure if she is going to be happy, relieved- or if she is going to disown me.

Snap!!!
It could be worse...
When my MIL was in the hospital 5 years ago, my FIL went through all her stuff and threw away all the kids' pics and yearbooks and diplomas and things like that. He swears that he didn't but they just didn't up and run away from home.

Perhaps after the initial shock wears off she'll be greatly relieved...kind of like a different haircut, takes a bit of getting used to lol.
Seriously, I'm sure she'll appreciate all the hard work you put forth to clean up & organize the basement.

Quote:
What I want to do is make myself a promise- That I will get rid of all hoarding clutter in my house. My attic, my closet, the garage.

I certainly wouldn't want my children to go through what I went through today- and I certainly wanted to do it BEFORE my mother passes away (she is, actually, never allowed to do that)...because I know that IF I had to do it then, I would feel terribly guilty and most of that junk would have come home with me.....(I can actually hear my mom saying 'There is nothing wrong with that ice cube tray. I may need it some day'.).

If I ever recover from this basement, I am going to start in on my closet.
ep.gif

a sticky slipery slope you are on! One man's trash...

Love, love, love, make sure she knows u r on her side.

family dynamics are always interesting.

Quote:
Oh the minute- and I mean the very minute she cannot find something....even if it is months, no- years, from now. It will be my fault and I will have thrown it out.

Even if I didn't.

Sounds right up with my mother in law!!! Except it doesnt stop at the attic (no basements in FL) Its everywhere. You have to check experation dates on anything you intake...ive found meds over a decade out of date, even canned foods and cans of pop (pepsi ect.) out of date.

Have fun with your tresure hunt!!

If you want some inspiration, spend some time at this:

http://www.childrenofhoarders.com/bindex.php

We spent months (off and on) cleaning out my mother's house. We had a 20-foot dumpster, huge bon fire, more than 70 bags of trash, and numerous trips to the thrift store. It was bad, but not even as bad as some of the places on this site.

Back
Top Bottom