I love my white leghorns

Nslangton

Songster
10 Years
Jan 19, 2012
Just spent my morning browsing through BYC, my new addiction. I have come across about 20 different posts referring to Leghorns as "flighty & skittish" I have to disagree. I have four white leghorn chicks that are almost a month old and I love them. They are the sweetest girls. Love to be handled, get treats, and they perch at the top of the brooder usually right under one of my dogs noses. Nothing seems to bother them. They are hands down friendlier and less skittish than my RIR chicks. They can fly pretty well, but their feather development is faster than the RIRs. I wish more people would love the Leghorns and save them from a life at a commercial egg laying facility.

I hatched four White Leghorns from Trader Joe's grocery eggs just over a year ago. Got a rooster and three hens. They're great birds! I don't handle my fowl a whole lot, so it's not important to me tat they are hay docile. They're wonderful layers and very pretty. The hens roost on the coop refuters. They are very friendly.

I LOVE my white leghorn, but she IS flighty and she IS skittish and she's LOUD :)

She also likes to fly out of her pen, so I had to clip her wings as we have some dogs in the neighborhood that folks don't like to keep in their yards (I want her to be safe).

She was very friendly as a chick - just like the others, but when she grew up - she changed...

Her name is Betty and she's the best layer I have...
smile.png
Here she is 'helping' with the flowers...

She is beautiful. Hope I didn't jinx myself. We are having a covered run and also a covered movable pen because I know they can fly. I was hoping to let them roam the barn but they can get to my hubby's shop if they can get up 20 feet and he will not be happy with chickens pooping all over his stuff. He already complains that the goat poops all over the walks, patios, and decks. My good fertilizer excuse won't work in the shop.
yippiechickie.gif

LOL! I know what you mean about your husband's shop! My husband is the same way! Right now, we are having a problem with cats getting into his shop.

We are in the process of building a new coop/run, so once they all move, he'll use the old coop (which was a garden shed) for "crap" and cats - then he'll have his shop all clean (yah, sure :))

Good luck with your birds! Betty laid her first egg at 17 weeks. I could tell something was up with her - she kept pacing back and forth in front of the coop - a little while later - her first beautiful egg :)

(here's a secret most people don't know about Leghorns... They LOVE Reggae music :) )

I really like White Leghorns. I had two of them but lost one a couple of months ago. They are amazing layers. I am going to be getting about 20 chicks in a couple of weeks. I am probably going to get 3 more White Leghorns. The only reason I am not saying I will get them for sure is that I may have an opportunity to get California Whites and I am trying to decide which to get. Who knows, maybe I will get both. I also have two Brown Leghorns but am not as happy with them. They are much more flighty, don't lay as many eggs, and many of their eggs are medium size instead of large. This two birds are on my flock "thin" list to make room for the new birds.

I have nicknamed my White Leghorn my "little dinosaur". She makes a noise that sounds like the roar that Hollywood often uses for dinosaurs.

I have one with my reds. She is an egg laying machine. She is also the queen of the hens. If she wants it she gets it.lol. You can see her behind the black one.

i have always wanted a leghorn or 2. but i live in town. i've had chickens for over 2 years now with no problems. we have a 6ft privacy fence. and my girls sing the egg song etc. i've had a few loud chickens from time to time. but what i worry about the most is a leghorn flying over my fence. that's why i haven't gotten one yet. but i sure with i could have one! :(

Last edited:
I am one of those folks who have called Leghorns flighty and skittish, but they are still one of my favorite breeds. Sometimes being active and fast gives a bird a distinct advantage evading dogs and other predators.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Leghorns. I just wish for their sake that the roos had more value, since most are culled immediately after sexing. I am planning on running a few Leghorns this year, but will probably run a mix of colors just to keep things interesting.

I too call leghorns flighty and skittish. They are my staple birds. LOL I love how well they lay, how quick they are to be first at your feet, and first to avoid predators. It's hilarous to be followed by a flock that will follow so close as to run into the back of your legs, but one flinch and you've got the entire bunch scattered. Flighty and skittish is actually a god thing in the do or die life of a fenceless free range flock.

Back
Top Bottom