I moved them outside at 2 weeks. Yay or nay?

I’ve been concerned about the heat lamp being a fire hazard. Probably can’t see from the photo but we don’t have it clamped. We actually have it hanging from a couple zip ties. I think I may make a tractor supply trip tomorrow to look for that heating plate

IMG_1379.png

Last edited:
Other than the predator risk and fire risk, that tarp is also cutting off all ventilation. Chicks need it too. Depending on what direction(s) your winds come from, I'd only tarp the top and the predominant wind direction(s).

Since you mentioned the coop must be located where the kennel currently sits, have you checked to make sure there's no setback restrictions or side yard access (assuming that's the side yard and that a neighboring lot is on the other side) ordinances?

I highly recommend the mommas heating pad / cave, or, an adjustable height heat plate.
Not one that gives ambient heat from a vertical position, but one that the babies can stand against/ snuggle under, and you can adjust the height <- very important, regardless of your decision 😊

I use a Brensa ambient heat. It's adjustable and will NOT burn the chicks if accidentally touched. I have used the brensa for 11 years now. It's low wattage and chicks love it. If you get a chance to check it out. Some other heating plates can and do burn chicks. This you won't have to worry about fire at all. Ps. I also keep my chicks in a Large dog crate. Mine is inside however and it's wrapped with two blankets for draft and cardboard is placed on 1/2of the front door because they were escaping out of the bars. Now they don't try. Best wishes

I use a Brensa ambient heat. It's adjustable and will NOT burn the chicks if accidentally touched. I have used the brensa for 11 years now. It's low wattage and chicks love it. If you get a chance to check it out. Some other heating plates can and do burn chicks. This you won't have to worry about fire at all. Ps. I also keep my chicks in a Large dog crate. Mine is inside however and it's wrapped with two blankets for draft and cardboard is placed on 1/2of the front door because they were escaping out of the bars. Now they don't try. Best wishes . I do have a large coop and large run when they get bigger. They are too small to be out just yet. Good luck. And I would worry about raccoons. They are awful and bite the heads off. Better safe than sorry but I'm a bit over protective. I lost a hen a couple years ago to a raccoon. My rooster fought him off and saved the rest.

Back
Top Bottom