I need a crockpot rooster recipe!

EELover

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
My husband just killed off one of our roosters. I have read many posts and I always read about people talking about cooking up mean roosters in a crockpot. Does anyone have a recipe? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I don't have a recipe but I'll tell you what I do.
smile.png
I normally put them in a stock pot ont he stove, cover with water, add onion salt, spices and a splash of vinegar (to leach the calscium from the bones. Slow cook for several hours, at least three minimum. Then take the meat off the bone, dont' be too picky, take some of the stock ( cooking liquid), and make gravy out of it. Return bones to stock and boil a bit longer.

With the meat, I usually do chicken with gravy and mashed potatoes, and make chicken noodle soup out of the rest.-- strain stock, let bones cool a bit and remove the rest of the meat. Add equal parts of diced carrot, celery, onion and chicken to the stock witha bay leaf. Once veggies are cooked, add equal amount of noodles, cook, season and eat. Yumm!!!

Coq au vin is great for fresh older rooster. Yummy! Anything over 20-ish weeks old is going to be tough if not slow cooked.

I've also just seasoned with poultry seasoning and slow cook it.

Back
Top Bottom