I need a rooster. South Florida

BeckyinFl

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Broward County
I need a rooster. I am missing half my flock and I am worried something is eating them. Does anyone have any australorps or orpington roosters?

I don't think a rooster alone will help. It might help some with alerting to a predator so the hens can get away but a rooster will also sacrifice himself for his ladies and then you will just be in the same spot. You really need to up your defense against predators first and foremost.

More information is needed. How many birds have you lost? Did they all disappear at once or over a period of time? Did you lose them during the day or at night? Do you free range? If you are losing some to predators do you have any idea what you are up against?

If you are losing them at night a rooster won't help at all. They also only offer limited protection during the day, if any protection at all. I know some have had success with a rooster vs a hawk, but I have not. They also cannot stop the larger predators such as dogs, foxes or coyotes. If you are losing them while they free range, you would have more luck penning them up util you know what is attacking them. Or investing in electric fencing.

mine sleep in a secure coop with a run made out of wire with wire laid out on the floor so nothing can dig into either. if they are being taken while free ranging then you will have to only let them do that while you are supervising them. a rooster is kind of the sacraficial lamb of the chicken world if there is trouble.not a cureall

I have many preditors where I live especially different types of hawks, skunks, large rats, and opossum.not to mention neighbors cats and dogs. I built a large house comfortable for my 10 girls and 1 Rooster. Attached to that is a enclosed run. Enclosed on all 4 sides and has a roof.the coop has 2 doors. One large door i walk in and a small sliding door attached directly to their run. That door is closed at night as well is the large person sized door to their run. They have lots of room and i feel comfortable that they are safe. Rooster is the Frontline man in a emergency situation. He will fight with his life for his ladies. However you want to KEEP a good rooster for breeding and future generations of good roosters. He is usually not disposable. I rehome many roosters before I found my big gentle guy. Hes definitely a keeper and it would break my heart if anything were to happen to him! I suggest you secure a nice large run to a nice large coop and keep them all secure that way. However if your looking for a good rooster breed I recommend the silver penciled rock. Hes a gentle giant. Mines just about a year old and over ten pounds! I will attach his pic.in a enclosed run they get plenty of exercise and lead a safer existence . Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Omg! Absolutely alligators will eat a chicken! People even trap them using a dispatched and plucked chicken! I don't know how large your snakes are but if you have any constrictors they can definitely eat a small Chicken or even a large one once the bones break!! Sounds like you have lots of possible preditors. I'd opt to secure them in a pen, keep them safe. Remember, preditors can come from both sky and ground. Good luck and best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom