I Need Help About My Chicks

I kind of feel that since you've already placed your order with a hatchery you should stick to it rather then canceling. The chicks are going to be sent through the mail no matter if you order them or TSC orders. As far as seeing if their healthy.... I've always had very good success ordering chicks and I like that they come straight from the post office to me, no stopping off at the feed store, no extra handling or confusion etc.

If you are wanting specific breeds/colors as you mentioned as well as extras for someone else and you've already placed your order then it seems like that answers your question. Seems a lot simpler to me then going through the hassle of canceling an order and then trying to get exactly what you want from TSC. Unless you just turn around and have them order for you, ends up being the same anyway.
I understand what you are saying I wish my hole family felt like that I am getting pulled in 2 directions and I need more encouragement on one of the other!

If they are insistent on going through TSC just talk to your local store's staff and find out when they expect their deliveries so you can be sure to be there bright an early and get "first pick" (or as close to it as possible) of the chicks they receive to avoid the "picked over" issue. You can also often express an interest in specific chicks and the store will add some to their order (without having to do an actual "special order")even above and beyond what you want to purchase as they see that there is interest in the community for that breed.
Thank You.
smile.png

Some feed stores will let you pre-order chicks. Some may even let you pre-order breeds that they don't normally order.

Yeah but if I do that it would be like ordering from Ideal Poultry.

If you are buying chicks from anywhere else, than directly from the breader, then you are getting chicks from a hatchery, like Ideal. But a breader is just a hatchery that specializes in a few specific breads and deals in lower volumes.

Buying from the feed store only eliminates the stress you feel, the chick will be stressed regardless.

My TSC gets chicks either 2 or 3 days a week, and each time it is a different breed, or bantams. So you could get some one day, get some more in a few days , then a few more. The only drawback is that you have to get there when they come in for best choice, and the breeds are usually common ones. Each store has a list of what they get. I have had great experience with a hatchery 5 hours from me so that I get overnight shipping. The other drawback about shipping is the cost, where most feedstores are similar in price without shipping. The biggie for me though is that I want all of my chicks to have a Mareks vaccine ($1.00 extra) and usually feed store chicks do not have it.

I would have to say neither! Hatchery chicks are NOT the same as chicks from a reputable breeder. Hatchery chicks have bloodlines that have been constantly stressed and over-bred to create a watered down commercial style chicken. I have had chickens from hatcheries and local breeders with quality stock and the difference is night and day. Whether it be egg laying or temperment the quality bloodlines make all the difference in the world.

Where are you?

Tractor supply is an option where I live but there are local breeders, a small time hatchery, and a co-op -- all of which offer a better selection. And our local TSC only offers hybrid layers as sexed pullets, everything else is straight run!

Back
Top Bottom