I Need Help About My Chicks

WindStep

Songster
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Hello there my parents let me order chicks offline, but no one liked it and they are now bothering me about I should cancel my order and buy from Tractor Supply! Well I want every one to tell me what they think/would do.

If I keep my order online...
Pro...
Have the colors/breeds I want
Con...
They could be UN Healthy
They could get Shipping Shock
There smallest box hold 25 chicks and I'm just getting 12 so there will be Extra Chicks

If I get chicks from Tractor Supply
Pro...
I could see if they are Healthy
They wouldn't have to go though Mail
Con...
I couldn't get the colors I want
I couldn't have thoughs extra chicks

Please If you can help me on this Please, THIS is my to be chicks life. Also so just to let you know I am not new at chickens I have 20.

The chicks at TSC have been shipped in.
Have you checked feed stores to see what they have?
How about Craigslist?

If you have to order 25, what are you doing with the extras?

The chicks at TSC have been shipped in.
Have you checked feed stores to see what they have?
How about Craigslist?

If you have to order 25, what are you doing with the extras?
I don't have to order 25, but the extra chicks has someone interested in them.

It sounds like you want someone to tell you what you should do, but no one can really do that because it's up to you. You seem to have a good idea of the pros and cons of each choice, now you have to decide which way you want to go.

Good luck!

Here's the deal, Tractor Supply gets their chicks from the same place you're planning on getting yours....a hatchery. Its true that you may have to deal with DOAs or weak chicks if you have them shipped directly, but that's just part of it. The benefit of getting them from the feed store is that you can get them now, they have already dealt with chicks that had a bad go with shipping stress and you actually get to see them and pick them out. As you've already mentioned though, their selection is limited. And its even more limited after people pick through them.
Anyway, in the end its up to you and your family, but either way your chicks are coming from a hatchery. Good luck :)

It sounds like you want someone to tell you what you should do, but no one can really do that because it's up to you. You seem to have a good idea of the pros and cons of each choice, now you have to decide which way you want to go.

Good luck!
Well no I'm just saying I'm totally cool with ether choice! But just wandering what y'all would do SO you know it just kinda helps.

Here's the deal, Tractor Supply gets their chicks from the same place you're planning on getting yours....a hatchery. Its true that you may have to deal with DOAs or weak chicks if you have them shipped directly, but that's just part of it. The benefit of getting them from the feed store is that you can get them now, they have already dealt with chicks that had a bad go with shipping stress and you actually get to see them and pick them out. As you've already mentioned though, their selection is limited. And its even more limited after people pick through them.
Anyway, in the end its up to you and your family, but either way your chicks are coming from a hatchery. Good luck
smile.png
Thanks, but my family say TRACTOR SUPPLY oh come on family!
big_smile.png

Thanks, but my family say TRACTOR SUPPLY oh come on family!
big_smile.png
If they are insistent on going through TSC just talk to your local store's staff and find out when they expect their deliveries so you can be sure to be there bright an early and get "first pick" (or as close to it as possible) of the chicks they receive to avoid the "picked over" issue. You can also often express an interest in specific chicks and the store will add some to their order (without having to do an actual "special order")even above and beyond what you want to purchase as they see that there is interest in the community for that breed.

Last edited:
I kind of feel that since you've already placed your order with a hatchery you should stick to it rather then cancelling. The chicks are going to be sent through the mail no matter if you order them or TSC orders. As far as seeing if their healthy.... I've always had very good success ordering chicks and I like that they come straight from the post office to me, no stopping off at the feed store, no extra handling or confusion etc.

If you are wanting specific breeds/colors as you mentioned as well as extras for someone else and you've already placed your order then it seems like that answers your question. Seems a lot simpler to me then going through the hassle of cancelling an order and then trying to get exactly what you want from TSC. Unless you just turn around and have them order for you, ends up being the same anyway.

Back
Top Bottom