I need help identifying this egg please!

Bethanlv05

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2018
A friend's dog brought this into their yard, and the egg was still warm. I have it in a box with a heat lamp over it because you can feel whatever is inside it moving. I am just trying to identify if it is a chicken or a duck. Either way it has a good home after it is hatched, but I know absolutely nothing about birds.

Attachments

• 20180711_201524.jpg
    20180711_201524.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 19
Looks more chicken than duck to me but I am no expert. Do you have a thermometer that you can keep the heat lamp set so that you don't get the egg too hot or too cold. If its moving it may be close to hatching. You also might want to but a damp rag in with it to up the humidity a little bit. I have never hatched anything using a homemade incubator so I am not a huge help on that. Good luck and keep us posted.

Looks more chicken than duck to me but I am no expert. Do you have a thermometer that you can keep the heat lamp set so that you don't get the egg too hot or too cold. If its moving it may be close to hatching. You also might want to but a damp rag in with it to up the humidity a little bit. I have never hatched anything using a homemade incubator so I am not a huge help on that. Good luck and keep us posted.
I don't have a thermometer, but will see if I can borrow one. I just put a wet rag with it, and will keep a close eye on it. Thank you so much!

If you can get the dog to show you where the nest is, you might be able to both identify the bird and give the egg back if there's a clutch being hatched. Momma will know best how to do this hatch and care for the baby. Plus, it could be a protected species illegal to keep.

Back
Top Bottom