I need help with egg cleanings

Kenny_

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
Georgia, USA
I have a horrible time with getting my ducks to lay in the nesting box, and they often have extremely dirty eggs. Does anyone recommend a cleaning method that is best for people who give their eggs away to their neighbors and also doesn't want to spend a terrible amount of money to clean them. LOL Sounds difficult to find!

The wipes I've seen are like $15/bottle and to me, that's too much.. but I don't know. Is it worth it? Thanks for your time,
-Kenny

One thing to note is that when you wash eggs you are removing a seal that protects eggs from air and keeps them fresh longer so...I don't wash my eggs. And when I do I use a cloth/paper towel and put some water on there. One thing to keep in mind is don't get to stressed out about it cuz they will be eaten. BTW this is a good thread...I kinda have thought this too!

I wash mine under luke-warm running water and scrub lightly with a micro-fiber cloth if needed. I end up incubating a lot of these eggs, and they incubate just fine. I figure if they're good for 28 days at 99.5-degrees, they ought to be good for eating...

So I just read in Story Guide to Raising Ducks how to wash eggs: It said to use luke ware water and use a cloth of some sort to scrub of. In the book it said not to use antibacterial soap, because it can cause damage to the egg( If you are just eating them then it should not matter if you use soap or not).

Back
Top Bottom