I need opinions asap about type of feed!

Ive raised chickens of all ages on both flock raiser and layer feed. There's no difference in the quality and health of the flock with 16% or 20% plant protein. Flock raisers are fine. The only time I see a difference is when I start chicks on feed that include both meat and plant protein.

I ended up getting Purina 20% Flock Raiser. Do they need oyster shells right away or when they start laying?

I ended up getting Purina 20% Flock Raiser. Do they need oyster shells right away or when they start laying?
You can offer it before they start lying they might Peck at it and Sample it but probably won't eat much but it's good to have so that right before they come in to lay they can eat some for calcium

That's my feed of choice, as well. Do you mind me asking the price? I had gotten very used to "lower price at this store" - it came to an abrupt end in April. And has continued to go up. $25.99 now.
Mine is $25.99 at TSC. Is that expensive for chicken feed? I have never had it lower since I started using it in May (I think)

Yes and no. Compare to some brands then yes, compare to organic then no. I consider it high because that lower price in store was 16.99. I stay with it because the other feeds I would even consider are not much cheaper (yes, I know it adds up) and the FR is almost always fresher.
Ok the only cheaper feed at TSC is there brand of layer so I just stay with FR

That's my feed of choice, as well. Do you mind me asking the price? I had gotten very used to "lower price at this store" - it came to an abrupt end in April. And has continued to go up. $25.99 now.
The 50 pound bag of Purina Flock Raiser was $26.49 (excluding tax).

Back
Top Bottom