I never expected this!

GoPups

Songster
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
Memphis, TN
My roommate and I were taking our four greyhounds on their morning walk today when all of a sudden we hear a rooster crow! We're in the middle of the city! We had to go investigate, and we found a teeny tiny little bantam rooster in a bush! My roommate ran the greyhounds home and came back so we could catch him. We knocked on the doors of a few houses and no one claimed him, so now we have a teeny tiny little guy in our backyard! He's very cute, and we named him Cornelius. We have no idea what breed he is, so if any of you have guesses, please speak up!
smile.png

Here's where I need your help! He's sneezing a bit and making funny gurgly noises- nothing I've ever heard a chicken make, and I don't know whether to be concerned or not. He also has a crooked toenail, something I've never dealt with before. Do we clip it, or just leave it?

Anyway, here are some pictures of Mr. Handsome!

cornelius01.jpg

cornelius02.jpg

cornelius03.jpg

And here's his funny toenail:

cornelius04.jpg

awww....he is adorable!!! Looks like maybe a Serama??? He is awful tiny, But gorgeous! As far as the is concerned, give him a little apple cider Vinegar in his water, it is a good pick me up, I give it to my birds if they sneeze, and it works great. But if it dosent get better, a trip to the vet may be required. As far as the toe nail goes, i would just trim a little so It dosent bother him.

Thanks Critter Crazy! I've got some cider in the house. Oh and I forgot to ask... Is there any way to get an age check? His spurs are about a quarter of an inch long.

Hi, spurs are like fingernails-not really a good indicator of age. If he is sneezing you may want to pick up some vitamin and electrolytes (a package of mix) from your local feedstore. The vitamins will give him a boost and fill in any nutritional gaps he may be missing.

Cute fella-someone is probably missing him right now.

smile.png

PS: ORGANIC apple cider is the key. The distilled is so "purified" that it may not help much.

Last edited:
Wow is he little. I didn't relize chickens came that tiny. Makes me wonder how little the hens are. He looks very content in his new home. I hope he feels better soon. Good Luck with him.

I want to emphasis the vinegar, chickens do not do well with colds becuase of mucus build up. The vinegar cuts the mucus.

Really Arklady, I would have guess Serama also-show how much I know.

Someone around you, GoPups, must have chickens???

Hi don't know about the breed or age but I have 2 bantam hens My DH got from the flea market, both have crooked toes and it does not seem to bother them at all. I was under the impression they got crooked toes from standing on wire in the bottom of their cage?

Back
Top Bottom