I really hope I didn't end up with all roosters!!

moscoops

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2016
So my husband and I got 8 stright-run, Black Australorp chicks and I'm worried that I have 7 roosters on my hands. They were hatched the same day so I assume that they are growing at about the same rate, but I'm not sure. 7 of my chicks are showing a slight comb but from what I've read, the hens have a small comb too so I'm not sure. Two of my chicks are growing much more prominent combs AND wattles, so I'm pretty sure I have at least 2 roosters. And one of my chicks doesn't look like it's got any comb at all. Does this mean she's a she or just developing a little slower than the rest?

Here is a photo of one of the chicks with comb and wattle:

And here is one that has a small comb and no wattle:

And here is the one chick that has nothing:

Did I end up buying 7 roosters and only 1 hen?!

Looks like the first one is a Cockrel. I know you're feeling. We even got our first set from someone who said she had checked the genders, and 3 of the for might be males
1f620.png

Ooops, sorry but the first one is most likely a Cocerkel :( Second one, not sure yet & possibly the third is a Pullet. They look to be around 4wks? I know that dreaded feeling...
Thank you! I don't mind one cockerel, but I don't want 7!
hmm.png

Looks like the first one is a Cockrel. I know you're feeling. We even got our first set from someone who said she had checked the genders, and 3 of the for might be males
1f620.png

A lot of folks rely on "old wives tales" with regards to sexing birds - or use techniques that are inappropriate for the type of bird being sexed (ie using feather sexing on a chick for whom there is no genetic link to development of wing feathering due to the misconception that it can be used on all chicks).

Back
Top Bottom