I think the "Old Way" is making a come-back!

We also live in a very small rural town of less than 500 people. Its at least 30 miles from the "biggest" places which themselves arent very large,lol!!!
Our hardware store has a tab system for people they know will pay. I generally buy most of what I need there. It IS kind of old fashioned and been in business since the 1800s.
I am sure people around here would be willing to barter.
I am all for bringing back some of the old ways!
smile.png

Quote:
Some friends.
roll.png

I didn't get laughed at. I got "the talk." You know where they tell you you don't want chickens because they're mean/messy/what-have-you. So I got ducks instead. LOL

Our town used to be rural but now it's over grown and snobby (High Tech). Recently the City Council was to vote on whether or not to allow chickens. Lucky for us we have a City Council who voted for chickens, but the comments in the online paper were so funny, "There will be chicken's in the Streets" Blah Blah blah. I live in a little island of County right in the middle of town, and I have 56 chickens, never has anyone of them ever been "in the streets"
lau.gif

I'm not sure if this new (high tech, HOA bound) generation is ready for the good 'ole days, but I'd love to see it come back.
smile.png

The last place we lived before we moved here, I had a source of fresh, local raw milk, cheap. One of my acquaintances wanted it, too, but didn't have time to go get it. I used to pick hers up when I got mine, and in exchange for deliveries, I got (she was a massage therapist) massage time!

I also had lots of eggs to sell, and often traded them for other things.

I still have eggs, but haven't found a good milk source nearby. I'll have to break down eventually and keep a cow or a goat.

Years back I use to give a lady a dozen eggs and she in turn would wash and starch my work shirts for me. A dozen eggs for five perfectly washed and startched shirts. I think I got the better end of that deal.

Chickending, wow over 100 cornish for one steer.

Who butchers the steer?

The butcher processes the steer. We pay for the processing and at the end of the year we should be evened up. Our cost is about 1000 for the whole steer. I charge $2 a pound for the chickens and $ 2.50 a doz for the eggs, the rate we are going we are not going to have to pay anything for the steer at the end of the year. Raising right now the next batch of birds and depending on their weight upon butchering. The last batch of meat birds knocked 250.00 off the bill.

His family is also going to buy 4 of my 18 turkeys. I have no idea how much to charge per lb for them. I have to add up how much I have spent on turkey food and figure it out.

It is working out great as he doesn't want to raise chickens but wants the organic raised product as he raises his cattle organically too. So it works out great for everyone.

They get like 3-4 dozen eggs every week or so. The wife does tons of baking. I am raising new layers right now because of my demand is so high for eggs. Can't keep them in the house.

Drakemaiden - I got some of 'the talk' too, along with the laughing, but I think they are somewhat protective because of my health.

I told them all "Hey - I need something to live for".

That shut them up.

there is a small store in the next town that sells bulk foods, meats, spices, etc. They used to have the best local milk, ever have root beer flavored milk? The skim milk tasted just like regular. Well the regs were changed and they ended up closing the dairy. People are so scared of every other thing they have to shut it down. This website inspires me, I can raise chickens for eggs, I can plant a garden and preserve the fruits of my labor, I can pinch my pennies so hard they squeek and Im with people who appreciate it. We went to a antique car show last weekend and were talking to an old timer about the way things used to be and I think things are going that way again.

right you are arms...

I seriously think having a veggie garden, raising chickens, riding bicycles and even using horses for travel will be making a comeback.

like during WWII when everyone had a garden.

man I wasnt around in them days but I am an old soul anyways:lol:

I love to barter and pray that it all comes back* oh what I would give to ride a horse without crazy drivers

at least that wouldnt be so bad if they HAD to talk on the cell phone:rolleyes:

all the people at work tease my hubby* and myself* for the chickens we have coming and the fact I wanna farm and be as independent as we can be** hey we have a generator so I can say ditch the electric company if need be and I can go solar as much as possible**

soon may we all sing

these are the good ole days

Back
Top Bottom