I THOUGHT That I had 7 Hens! But look Ma, I think it's a fertilized egg???

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
HELP!!! I finally got brave enough to eat one of my own eggs. So, I gave my husband and egg sandwich (blue eggs) from our Easter Eager, Joy. BEAUTIFUL! They were great tasting too. So, then, I took two of Sweetie's eggs ( beige, Rock Barred). Same wonderful deep yellow....only when I looked I saw this peculiar looking thing on the end of the egg. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME? IS THIS A FERTILIZED EGG? This could only mean one thing. I've been expecting my Golden Laced Wyandotte to lay any day now. Nearly all my other birds have now had eggs, except for "her." I've heard no rooster noise at all. Maybe he has more class than to play and tell???
Anyone who knows, I'd appreciate it if you could loan me your expertise. I did see Sweetie and Sugar cuddling, but chalked it up to "sisterly" love. Oh well....just goes to show you never can tell... If this IS a fertilized egg, then I will have to be much more careful before I refrigerate them now. I've seen some people hold a flashlight behind some eggs. Is there anyway besides that to tell if they're fertilized? I feel really badly if this was a potential baby chick.

Attachments

• IMG_5032.JPG
    IMG_5032.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 28
HELP!!! I finally got brave enough to eat one of my own eggs. So, I gave my husband and egg sandwich (blue eggs) from our Easter Eager, Joy. BEAUTIFUL! They were great tasting too. So, then, I took two of Sweetie's eggs ( beige, Rock Barred). Same wonderful deep yellow....only when I looked I saw this peculiar looking thing on the end of the egg. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME? IS THIS A FERTILIZED EGG? This could only mean one thing. I've been expecting my Golden Laced Wyandotte to lay any day now. Nearly all my other birds have now had eggs, except for "her." I've heard no rooster noise at all. Maybe he has more class than to play and tell???
Anyone who knows, I'd appreciate it if you could loan me your expertise. I did see Sweetie and Sugar cuddling, but chalked it up to "sisterly" love. Oh well....just goes to show you never can tell... If this IS a fertilized egg, then I will have to be much more careful before I refrigerate them now. I've seen some people hold a flashlight behind some eggs. Is there anyway besides that to tell if they're fertilized? I feel really badly if this was a potential baby chick.

It's a meat spot, just remove it with a spoon.😂
Yup, this. Not fertilized, it's just a meat spot. It's just some shed lining when an egg is being made. If it grosses you out, remove it. But it's perfectly safe to eat

Back
Top Bottom