I want to encourage breeders to become N.P.I.P. certified.

Well for the state of Indiana I do not have to be NPIP to ship eggs but all eggs that are shipped into the state need to come from an NPIP flock. I did look into it and I know that in Indiana it is $80 per year to be NPIP certified. I think that is a little too expensive for my taste. Maybe in the future but for now I really do not see the benefit of it.

Just got off the phone with the vet for my state. I have learned:

1. No NPIP flocks in the state of NV

2. No testing in state, all sent out – if I have over 50 birds the cost is $4.90 per bird, if I have under 50 birds the cost is 5.65 per bird; tested for 3 Mycoplasmas and 2 Salmonellas

3. Each fowl species must be kept separate – no mixing of ducks, geese and chickens

4. Flocks must be kept separate – 1 year olds from 2 yr olds. Cannot add to the coop – must either get rid of your original flock or add another coop – even if you are hatching from your own eggs you cannot “introduce” the young to the older

sad.png

I currently have ducks, geese and chickens - all freerange together and are housed next to or together. I do mix my flock - my incubator chicks go into the coop betwee 6 and 8 weeks and my broodies live/hatch in the coop. She said the husbandry is strict and if you do not comply - even if you pass the tests - your NPIP can be revoked. I was interested in testing but will have to think more about it. As she stated, for the backyard flock in our state – testing is very cost prohibitive and then there is the husbandry of flock separation.

Quote:
i Agree and disagree. It definitely Does give a false security. But what they do test for is AI, which could affect me and you, our neighbors, and is ransmittable. So For that reason alone i say go NPIP.
Mark

Quote:
i Agree and disagree. It definitely Does give a false security. But what they do test for is AI, which could affect me and you, our neighbors, and is ransmittable. So For that reason alone i say go NPIP.
Mark

My state does not check for it, nor can I pay and have it added.

Hahahaha those rules for importing poultry are a joke! Everytime someone wants to order eggs they are supposed to submit, in writing, a request to APHIS, who then in turn will mail a "permit" to the asker. Oh, I just won your auction but will you please wait 2 months while I deal with APHIS before shipping?"

And that, folks, ridiculous rules like these, is why I want nothing to do with NPIP!

Thank goodness there are so many outlaw criminals on BYC shipping eggs!

I've been on the fence about NPIP.
I do show my birds, and have been tested regularly for the showbirds. I pass all the tests.

I recently learned that an NPIP certified location can accept my eggs if the parent birds were recently tested. Since I show my Mille Fleur d'Uccles, I have that recent testing paperwork. If that's good enough, then I do not think I will get the full certification.

I want to do as I please, and I don't mind my show birds being tested every 6 months.
I will always show my birds because I like to see them ranked among others of their type, to know that I'm breeding in the right direction.

(Patting my birds on the back because I have a hen that will be 3 years old in July who won BB BV on May 1st. The difference between heritage and hatchery is that my birds still look perfect and are as healthy and viable at 3 years as they were at 1 year. That's what I want for my pet showbirds!!!)

I have not YET seen any BYCer getting into trouble of NOT having NPIP across the state lines. Come on, the officials are not everywhere and they can not monitor every bird coming in or out of the state. I can see if it is for show birds and have them tested for diseases common in the US and for the peace of mind.

I was on the fence and ready to get my birds NPIP until I did some research with both NPIP and private breeders and the USPS. It is not cost effective for me and believe it or not, many of the "importers" back in those days didnt have NPIP with importing birds or eggs into the US illegially and some STILL do it this day. With thousands of folks coming and going, it would be like finding needle in a haystack however COMMON SENSE says do NOT ever try to do it. If you get caught, you can have your birds put to death, fined and jailed. As for eggs, they would confinsate it and destroy it without the legal paperwork.

With US interstate between states, it is not justified in stopping all animals to see if they got paperwork but events and shows DO require Coggins or NPIP or vet's certificate for all livestock is common sense and protect you and the exhibitors if any of your animals or theirs show signs of illness. It would require detective work to nail the person who spread it but its too hard to nail everyone down, even the public unknowingly brought it in by hands, clothes or shoes.

All the birds I've sold and most of them were 4H and one exhibitor say all of my birds came out clean as a whistle, no diseases and tested negative across the board in five different common poultry diseases. I thought the tests were a bit of an overkill but they insisted on it. They have done so well and I can not be even more pleased about how they are winning the awards for young people and exhibitors alike.

Quote:
Will you tell me what liberty you loss?

Its just a matter of time before we lose the liberty ot raise our own animals and gardens.
When the FDA gets its newly disguised NIAS passed, and has the authority to hire many more people to regulate at the local level, we will see a push for full liscensing to raise anything. Even gardens.
It is not happening right now, but the groundword it there.

From what we have heard form those that deal with interstate stuff, the time is coming where passports will be needed to cross state borders.
IT will be a fairly long time before it happens, but be assured, it will.

Meanwhile, we strive to practice our freedoms.

Last edited:
Quote:
Will you tell me what liberty you loss?

Its just a matter of time before we lose the liberty ot raise our own animals and gardens.
When the FDA gets its newly disguised NIAS passed, and has the authority to hire many more people to regulate at the local level, we will see a push for full liscensing to raise anything. Even gardens.
It is not happening right now, but the groundword it there.

From what we have heard form those that deal with interstate stuff, the time is coming where passports will be needed to cross state borders.
IT will be a fairly long time before it happens, but be assured, it will.

Meanwhile, we strive to practice our freedoms.

I could not agree with you more paulajoanne!

Quote:
Mark

Here the testing does not include AI...only pullorum and typhoid. I agree that it gives a false sense of security.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom