I was accosted by a swan!

Guitartists

Resistance is futile
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Michigan
GEESH! I stopped off at our local water park after going to Walmart because my youngest (2) loves to go there because all of the ducks and geese run right up to you for handouts! Well, there was this HUUUUGE swan hangin out and every time I threw him a nibble the gulls would steal it. Well, I walked closer to him to give him a bite and he came up out of the water... seemed friendly enough..... I threw him some nibbles and he gobbled them up .. and THEN.... he stuck his wings out, puffed his chest and rushed me! Grabbed hold of my sweatshirt... thank goodness for baggy clothes day LMAO and was biting and pulling! I think he has learned that if he rushes people and scares them, they will most likely drop whatever they are eating
wink.png
Well, since having chickens, I've learned not to be startled.... so I grabbed his neck and held firm after he finally let go of me. He twisted away and then puffed up again... so I stuck my arms out and puffed up and rushed toward him! He acted like he was going to bite again... so I snatched for him with my hand while giving him a warning hiss. He backed down and was well behaved for the rest of our visit.

I'm glad he didn't go after my toddler... that would have ended in a WWF cage match!
lol.png
Hopefully he will remember me next time and mind his manners
wink.png

That's hysterical! I can just see you in a grudge match with the evil swan!

I had a banty rooster rush me the other day. He flew at my face flapping and throwing his feet forward. Lucky for me it was a good hand/eye coordination day. Somehow I managed to catch him mid-flight, tuck him under my arm and thump him on the head. He was startled to say the least. We, ahem... bonded for the next 15 minutes or so, much to my roos everlasting disgust. I think he forgets he's only 10 inches tall.

I saw the Matthew Bourne Swan Lake ballet in London a couple of years ago. The herd of swans in that one is all male. They were creepy as heck and as much like real swans as you can get. The dancers even hissed in unison. Have had a few swan run-ins, the whole dance gave me the willies. Eek! (It was a fabulous show though!)

Congrats on defeating the Evil Swan!

The first horse farm I worked on as a teen was home to a pair of swans...Sam & Sue. They had their own little pool, shelter & small pasture. Unfortunately to get to 2 of the paddocks to turn horses out, you had to walk by their area. They would let you get almost past before rushing the fence flapping their wings & hissing, spooking the horses every time. I hated those daned things.

Quote:
LMBO!!!! You literally made me laugh out loud!!! I would have LOVED to see that! Too bad someone wasn't around with their phone to record it and put it on YouTube!!! I'm so thrilled when I hear stories like this. My kids and hubby try to make me think I'm crazy for some of the things and do...at least i'm not the only one!

LMAO!

All I can Picture is myself doing that-- and I darned near fell off my chare laughing at the thought of the people watching the whole thing!

I can relate to the Roo thing tho--- one of our 2 OE Bantams is not as spoiled (or as friendly) as his brother--- but has always been a "good boy"... but yesterday when my daughter picked-up the OE hen-- he flew at her face and grabbed her cheek with his beak while scratching her neck with his claws!

Had I been out there, we'd be having Roo Soup today! But when I went out, I intentionally picked up Scooter (the hen) and he just "fluffed" at me-- Lucky him!

Yeah, my DH is gonna have a good laugh at the thought of it all
tongue.png

I know, those small roos think they are HUGE, don;t they?
wink.png
Small roo syndrome or something...
lol.png

See, chickens are a good learning tool....you never know when the stuff u learn about them will come in handy....I gotta remember this thread the next time I see someone saying that their hubby won't let them get chickens!!!! LOL!!!

lau.gif
That must have been some sight to see!!! "You'll never guess what happened today on my lunch break!!! I saw someone wrestling a swan!!!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom