I was looking at Home Depot sheds yesterday...

Quote:
Cute!

I wish I knew about carpentry too. I'm an old lady too
smile.png
and I wonder if I should take a class on carpentry and build my own project. I have zero construction skills, I only recently learned how to use a power drill to screw my raised garden beds together. I was sore the next day from crouching doing that. HA!

Quote:
How do metal sheds do in the winter and with winds? I wonder if the high snow piles might even crush the roof?

Your windows look like a face.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Cute!

I wish I knew about carpentry too. I'm an old lady too
smile.png
and I wonder if I should take a class on carpentry and build my own project. I have zero construction skills, I only recently learned how to use a power drill to screw my raised garden beds together. I was sore the next day from crouching doing that. HA!

Too bad we don't live closer, we could partner up and figure it out!
wink.png

Quote:
How do metal sheds do in the winter and with winds? I wonder if the high snow piles might even crush the roof?

smile.png

Yeah we call it the "Coop of Indifference" because of the unintended face. LOL

It did great this past winter, but we don't get enough snow for it to really pile up. But with the metal, it wouldn't be too bad a chore to shovel it off from the sides, it's barely 6ft tall.

We did insulate it, so it keeps it nice in hot and cold. Need an updated picture of the front doors, each with a window. I'm the one who plans, my husband builds. I even let him buy a new table saw.

Adding ducks soon, with the double doors up front, we can build a wall right down the middle and add another pop door easy enough. Self tapping screws (designed for metal) are a great thing.

A new pop door on the side will add a mole to the face. With ducks growing out of it instead of hair.
lol.png

It was a pain to put up, but what was REALLY cool, that only requires one strapping man, is you can move it by hand where you want it! Before we laid the floor, husband got inside it and lifted it, and moved it to a better spot while I directed from outside. That was neat, and not possible with a wooden one. We were going for "temporary" so we can move it to our new house. Pull the floor, stand inside, lift and walk it onto a flat bed trailer! The run is too heavy, it will need dismantled. Or more strapping young men found.

When you open the box, you think, there's no way this will be sturdy. But once it was built, it was really stable and strong. It didn't bend or warp at all when we moved it around.

I would suggest keeping an eye in CL, and local classifieds. I got an 8x10 2 years old,well built barn style wooden shed on CL for 500.00, and hired a flat bed tow truck to bring it 40 miles for 125.00 It,IMO, is a fine coop and alot cheaper used. This shed new is 1800.00. You can set it up any way you want. . The day we got it it was raining.........
76406_002_jpeg.jpg
76406_001.jpg
76406_shade_for_the_girls.jpg
76406_run_finished_001.jpg

Quote:
big_smile.png

That was a really good point, about the ability to move it around. My coop is in the back of the yard, and I'm putting raised beds in now, right in the way if a truck needed to get down there.

Maybe you could make the pop-outs in the mouth and it would look like front teeth. HA!

Newbie in Screamer Al, I really really like your run. Big, spacious, airy, partially covered with a metal roof which is great for snow sliding off. I don't have a run because my chickens are free-rangers, but in the winter a lot of times they stay in the coop because they don't want to step out into the snow. Your setup would be ideal for weather days. Now you made me think twice about a run.

Quote:

smile.png

Around here in the PNW almost every metal shed I see on my drive home was collapsed by snow last winter. They also turn into easy bake ovens in high summer heat so I will not get one.

I drool on the wood sheds at Home Depot and lowes too them go home and build what I can out of scrap and what lumber I can afford to buy.

11550_new_coop_almost_done.jpg

Almost done

11550_rampant_roo2.jpg

Kentucky Speck coop

11550_barn2.jpg

buckeye coop

11550_jb_coop_2010.jpg

Jappanese coop

11550_coopsept16.jpg

large fowl coop

That Large Fowl coop on the end totally inspired me! I'm thinking of a row of Old West themed coops with the wooden walkway and all down the front, instead of "saloon", "general store" and such painted above it, it will say what birds live there instead, like "Maran Hotel", "Silkie Saloon" (or showgirl!!), "Layers General Store", on and on! All connected together in true old western town fashion, with the runs behind it! Storage in the middle, "Chicks Dry Goods".

We need to move like NOW so I can put this into action! Then I could do the ducks in Tee Pee style buildings down by a pond, as the Indian camp. The Duckawa Village. Or something.

Quote:
I may be going to Sears today!

I was thinking about doing the already 'made' sheds from Lowe's or Home Depot, but then I thought they would be way more exspensive than we could afford. If Sears has them for $300.0 or less, I may just have to go that route. Thanks for that tid bit of info.

Back
Top Bottom