IA here

:) does anyone raise marans? I am looking for copper marans and cuckoo marans chicks or adults in the cedar falls/waterloo area to replace those lost to a predator... ty

edited to add: this is my real name, I used to be here as Lilandra but can't seem to log in under that email address and user name... any help in finding these birds would be much appreciated

There is a young guy near Van Meter that has a nice flock of Cuckoo Marans. If that's not too far for you, send me a PM and I'll get you his number.

Quote:
Chicken math is how addictions reveal themselves. So your spouse says you may have "a couple" chickens for eggs. You pick up 4 pullets at the feed store. At a month old you realize they are all boys. You find a buyer for them and think hmmm. I could order a few from a reputable hatchery and try out some different breeds. You find the minimum is 25 chicks so you order a variety pack. They throw in some "packing peanuts" and now you have 27. You find you REALLY love the Silver Penciled Wyandotes and NEED some more of those. Since you know 50% of the chicks you have will be boys and headed for freezer camp, You can justify adding just a few more from a reputable breeder. You pick up 10 chicks from a local breeder, telling yourself you will sell your extras. The following spring one of your hens sneaks off and brings back a dozen babies, and by then you are hatching your own SPWs since you just had to see if you could do it. Odds are you will lose some to random illness or predators so you know you can keep some. Ok so after all that how many chickens do you have? (4-4)+25-12+10 -5+12-12+x = ? If you don't know how many you have, you can't have too many :)

I am new to the site and in love with it. I and my family live in Sioux Rapids, Iowa and I am going in front of our city council to ask permission to have hens. We are in city limits so it is not normally allowed. We have 3.4 acres of land and a small out building already on our land that is perfect for chickens. Does anyone have any advice? I am so nervous, we want chickens for pets so bad! The land was once not in city limits, but now is considered city. Any advice on how to ask permission is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
I am new to the site and in love with it. I and my family live in Sioux Rapids, Iowa and I am going in front of our city council to ask permission to have hens. We are in city limits so it is not normally allowed. We have 3.4 acres of land and a small out building already on our land that is perfect for chickens. Does anyone have any advice? I am so nervous, we want chickens for pets so bad! The land was once not in city limits, but now is considered city. Any advice on how to ask permission is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You may want to visit this page on Facebook. The got Chickens legalized in Cedar Rapids. :)

https://www.facebook.com/CRCLUC

Good luck!

My Girlies are a month old on Saturday. They grow so fast! They love salad, cottage cheese, english muffin and yogurt. Coop is almost complete (just need to paint) and finish wire enclosure. Going to miss not having them in the bathroom.

Glad to see you here! We live in Milford, and have birds in town. Every year, in May, I/we appear before the City Council for another years permission to keep the birds. The City code allows that to keep any livestock, in the city limits, it must be with the written consent of the council. They ask the chief of police if any complaints from the neighbors. They usually ask how many birds we have (they prefer I keep it to 24 adults sometimes there are more but only for a few weeks) Then they take a vote which is usually 3-2 in favor or 4-1 in favor. They very much like to hear that my son is in 4-H, and am on the county 4-H poultry committee. The meeting is coming up May 16th or 17th think it will be our 5th year appearing in front of the council. Just spoke with the city administrator yesterday but forgot what he told me). This year I intend to take a box of ribbons and trophies to show them it is a successful experiment. They have never restricted roosters but personally dont like to have a many of them.
I would suggest this.... decide how many birds you want to have. Don't bring up roosters but have a plan if they do ask. It will be important you have a plan to dispose of the waste, litter, manure and anything else someone might find offensive. Reassure them that flies are not an issue. And that you are not setting up a farm, merely have a few hobby hens to supply your family with eggs. 3.4 acres is a very nice size lot, but talk to your neighbors. See if they have any objections. You will find they would most likely think its great! And maybe most important, they will want to know hpw you will pen them so they will not be a nuisance to the neighbors and to protect the birds from predators. Do you have a fenced in yard?
W/o speechifying, remind them that in the 1960's all our small towns still had backyard coops... take some of these folks back to their childhood, let them remember the time before plastic wrapped chicken was discovered in a grocery store somewhere!
If I have left anything out, please message me, happy to help in any way. You are also very welcome to come up and visit too. We are only 40 minutes apart.
Eric

Last edited:
chicken math
3 bantams = 1 chicken
If you show it then don't count it.
If you don't know the sex it doesn't count
I have 4.66 chickens. (husband says we have 11)

Quote:
I raise Iowa Blues, but I have a lot of orders to fill right now so nothing right this minute. I can help you out with all the barnyard mixes you could want :)

Back
Top Bottom