IA here

Hello everybody!
We are living in Garner IA (North Central) and we just moved here in October from out of state… We really like it here
smile.png

We decided to get some chickens since we have plenty of room and like hobby farming. This will be our first time having chickens and I’m reading every information I can get. So happy I found this site.
Our family includes: Me Sandra, my hubby, our son 11, our daughter 3, 2 indoor cats, 2 dogs, and one farm cat just moved in - I believe.
smile.png

Right now we are building our coop (hubby is very talented this way) and our chicks should arrive in the beginning of next week from Hoover’s Hatchery. We are all very excited!
I’m excited to learn more and meet/exchange with other chicken peeps.

Welcome to the thread/BYC/and state, what chicks did you order?

Thank you :) I ordered 10 White Leghorn, 10 Americana and 5 Rhode Island Red
I didn't do much research before on breeds - only on good egg layers and winter hardy
Before I never knew that there are so many different breeds...
I already picked out some I want to try for next year lol

Welcome to the sight.I just got 40 pullets from Hoovers last week.If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Thank you! I'm sure i'll have all kinds of questions as soon as the little ones arrive...
Where you satisfied with Hoovers? You always here positive and negative... I had a good feeling with them - that's why we choose them

Hello everyone, kicking over by Pleasantville/Knoxville area. I see Corgis on here already ^_^

Where you satisfied with Hoovers? You always here positive and negative... I had a good feeling with them - that's why we choose them
I got 24 day old California Whites from Hoover's last year. All but 2 were improperly banded and had nasty infections that fused the banded wing and messed with the primary and secondary flight feathers. We almost had to cull the whole lot. Thankfully, the pullets are all still alive and thriving, even though none of them have any range of motion in their right wings. This year, all 11 chicks were banded nicely and are just losing their down. I also had quite a few Cornish X that I was unable to show because of nasty wings due to improper banding. I think they have great birds, but wing banding is close to hit or miss. All of my non-banded are doing great this year and I only lost one silkie chick (Turned out to be blind and fell it asleep/passed out in the waterer).

I've lost two so far, but the other 38 seem to be doing fine.

That is not too bad... Good luck with the other ones... Hope you have no more loss...

I got 24 day old California Whites from Hoover's last year. All but 2 were improperly banded and had nasty infections that fused the banded wing and messed with the primary and secondary flight feathers. We almost had to cull the whole lot. Thankfully, the pullets are all still alive and thriving, even though none of them have any range of motion in their right wings. This year, all 11 chicks were banded nicely and are just losing their down. I also had quite a few Cornish X that I was unable to show because of nasty wings due to improper banding. I think they have great birds, but wing banding is close to hit or miss. All of my non-banded are doing great this year and I only lost one silkie chick (Turned out to be blind and fell it asleep/passed out in the waterer).

Oh no! This must have been disappointing. Glad you had a better experience this year... Poor Silkie!
Hope I have some luck too...

mmm nice mix white, brown, and EE all good choices

Thank you :) I'm so excited. Cant wait to get my babies and then have a colorful egg basket :)

Back
Top Bottom