IA here

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

That was so funny that I snorted!
gig.gif

Quote:
In fact I do. I was wondering if I should build some nest boxes already! My big roo has been courting the girls pretty heavily too. The older ones were hatched 9/1 so that would make them 19 weeks and the others are 2 and 3 weeks behind. Seems early to me, but I don't know how early these IA Blues mature. Most of them are VERY small.

Alas I think I also have another roo in the bunch. The other 3 from the younger hatches made themselves known right away. He's very tiny and the only thing that makes me think roo is the other roos are going after him and I'm starting to see some sickle feathers in his tail. He doesn't have much more silver than the pullets.

Last edited:
Will any of you have any Delaware pullet chicks this spring? I think I have decided where I am going to have to get my chicks from this spring to save money but they don't have delawares and that is one I definately want.

I am SO EXCITED! My hubby ordered chicks for me as a Christmas present! I am just on eggs, waiting for the delivery date, January 31st. I ordered 101 chicks from McMurray. Ordered the Brown-egg-layer-Assortment.

I have a 9x9 section of my henhouse that is a designated nursery. But with the cold, I put a huge dog crate in there with 2 heat lamps. I sure hope my babies will be OK in that unheated building. I tested the heat today, and it took 2 hours for the crate to get up to the 95 degree temp they recommend.

I am so scared the weather will be bad on delivery day. Wish me luck!!!! This is my first time ordering chicks through the mail. I always bought from a feed store before.

Yes, the banty's are too small I want the standard size. I won't be ready until mid to late March but just trying to figure out my options.

Quote:
I too am looking for at least a couple Delaware pullet chicks, I have a very handsome roo I would like them to meet.
wink.png

I did the egg trade last spring and all my delawares that hatched were roo's - he needs a lady friend.

I would love to be able to be more selective for my layers pullets but I am not showing or anything, I need the eggs. So I have to go the most reasonably priced chicks and unless I am missing something, for between 25 and 50 chicks, that is Hoover Hatchery or Oak Hill Hatchery that would get them from Hoover here in IA.

Eric - somehow you sent your sick germs clear to Des Moines. I am rarely sick, but yesterday I had the stomach flu something fierce. Came home from work early and spent the whole day in bed or the bathroom throwing up.
sickbyc.gif
My dogs are happy to see me up and moving today. They spent the day laying on the bed protecting me which was hard for 5 month old puppies to do. Tucker was especially concerned. He would just lay up near my head and stare at me trying to figure out what was wrong.

I entrusted my 16 year old to put the chickens away but couldn't even think of a number to tell her to look for in the young birds. This morning when I went out I heard one of the gold comets was still out on the wrong side of the fence. Went to grab her and lo and behold one of the Ia blue pullets was with her. Thank goodness with the exception of the hawk we are fairly predator free around here.
This is the third day that the gold comet has jumped the fence and I have had to go retrieve her. She can't figure out how to get back over it
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom