Icelandic Chickens

X2! Chickens really seam to do better on the cold than people think,
Chickens are tough. I must be soft though, because I feel the need to give them more. Not pampered, but basic levels of comfort.
Okay, to admit what a soft-touch I am....the hummingbirds around here do not migrate, they overwinter, so you need to feed them year-round if you feed them at all. They depend on the food source and will not make it through the winter without it, since there are no natural sources of nectar.

When it snows, I refill their feeders with warm nectar so they can have something warm in their tummies!

Deb

My main flock rooster is not solid white....

but he has thrown solid white daughters and sons.........

pullet....

cockerel...

I have not kept any of the solid white offspring from my flock so I can't say what you will get if bred to a "colored" one. I do know my mostly white red pyle rooster pictured above has thrown three to four times as many "colored" chicks as solid white ones when bred to "colored" hens. What the "colored" birds carry genetically will determine what you get.
Seinna, The Other Mary

ahh THANK YOU!!
I am actually trying to determine if the soild white ones i have are actually icelandics or another breed. the one main difference i can see between the two is the leg colouring ( mine have white legs ) and the comb type. Here are some pictures that may be helpful.

ahh THANK YOU!!
I am actually trying to determine if the soild white ones i have are actually icelandics or another breed. the one main difference i can see between the two is the leg colouring ( mine have white legs ) and the comb type. Here are some pictures that may be helpful.
Who did you get them from?

ahh THANK YOU!!

Icelandic's come in all color's and patterns
I have a white ,
2 partridge pattern
and a White , black and blue rooster.
Back east they have many that are speckled. I have not seen any . many out here though I badly want some.
Legs can be slate or white or off yellow. combs can be varied as well.
mine are all crested. I have seen some that are not.
they are a smaller chicken and the hens seem to grow a bit slower than the roosters.
My last rooster was 6 pounds. my hens about 3 to 4.
my younger ones ( same age as yours)
rooster 4 pounds and the hen is 2 1/2 but growing
so they may just be young.

these guys are the same age. got them from Molly awhile back

Last edited:
Got them off the Internet from someone in Peterborough, Ontario . I learned when squired my varied breeds from different sources that not everyone gives you exactly what they say they are giving you... And that you always get way more roosters than you want!

Got them off the Internet from someone in Peterborough, Ontario . I learned when squired my varied breeds from different sources that not everyone gives you exactly what they say they are giving you... And that you always get way more roosters than you want!
If you still have the contact information from the person you got them from, I suggest you try and contact them and see if they have/had white Icelandics or if they have/had other white breeds. This would give you the best information. All we can do is guess without this information.

Most white Icelandics once they go through their first molt will show some color, even if its just a single dark feather.

White would have been a predator target, so the genes would be scarcer in the general population.

My theory anyhow. White doesnt have a real high survival value in a ranging homestead breed of chicken.

Back
Top Bottom