Icelandic Chickens

Most white Icelandics once they go through their first molt will show some color, even if its just a single dark feather.

White would have been a predator target, so the genes would be scarcer in the general population.

My theory anyhow. White doesnt have a real high survival value in a ranging homestead breed of chicken.

I agree with that. I had 8 white(ish) chicks from eggs I got from NotAFarm and kept the pullets but not the cockerels. It's really difficult to predict what you will get when you cross a certain pair. That's the fun part about Icelandics
big_smile.png

My theory anyhow. White  doesnt have a real high survival value in a ranging homestead breed of chicken.

Well, what about in the winter when everything outside is all white??? I am sure that the white Icelandics will fare much better free ranging than their darker siblings. :p

My Icelandics are growing really nice, becoming more beautiful as they grow. My older one has been laying almost every day.

janelle18, My juvenial roo will not crow in the presence of my dominant roo. (for fear of his life) I have read about roos that are low on the peck order and don't crow. Have you seen spurs or pretty tail feathers on the pale comb bird in question? P.S. not an expert here just trying to help.....

Well, what about in the winter when everything outside is all white??? I am sure that the white Icelandics will fare much better free ranging than their darker siblings.
tongue.png

My Icelandics are growing really nice, becoming more beautiful as they grow. My older one has been laying almost every day.
depends on how quick or alert they are as well. I have White Empordanesa from Spain. No snow there however there is no bird as alert. They see the hawks before the hawks see them.

janelle18, My juvenial roo will not crow in the presence of my dominant roo. (for fear of his life) I have read about roos that are low on the peck order and don't crow. Have you seen spurs or pretty tail feathers on the pale comb bird in question? P.S. not an expert here just trying to help.....
he is very reserved, always hunkered down... also, my crowing icelandic roo's have SUCH a high pitch crow!!

Well, what about in the winter when everything outside is all white??? I am sure that the white Icelandics will fare much better free ranging than their darker siblings.
tongue.png

Very good point Daron in the snow the hawks will never see them. Lots of places have long snowy periods so this is a bonus

tongue.png

luckily i dont have to worry about this since mine will be living inside!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom