Icelandic Chickens

Winged Varmint.... No a Red Tailed Hawk.
They are great till they start killing birds then they become Varmints.

Ugh......Is this the one that got your rooster? I caught a Cooper's hawk checking out my flock a couple of weeks ago. I can't shoot it, but I'm not above throwing rocks at it or using an air soft gun if I catch it shopping in my back yard again. I love BoP, but I understand how they can be pests.

Last edited:
Ugh......Is this the one that got your rooster? I caught a Cooper's hawk checking out my flock a couple of weeks ago. I can't shoot it, but I'm not above throwing rocks at it or using an air soft gun if I catch it shopping in my back yard again. I love BoP, but I understand how they can be pests.
yes once they start killing chickens they become pests. they stop eating there natural prey and keep after the chickens. Im gonna try and get a big rooster like a Jersey Giant or Langshan for the layer flock and the rest of my icelandic hens.

yes once they start killing chickens they become pests. they stop eating there natural prey and keep after the chickens. Im gonna try and get a big rooster like a Jersey Giant or Langshan for the layer flock and the rest of my icelandic hens.

No, NOT A BIG ROOSTER, that will not work, instead get a heritage Turkey tom or two, ever since I added turkeys in my flock, the hawks have stopped killing my chickens. One summer I lost about 30 chickens to coopers hawk. I was soo ticked off. :mad: But when the turkeys became grown, voila! No hawk attacks!!! Also, guinea fowl makes very very good watch dogs too, geese also. But I have a young pair of Emus, so I will see how well they keep ALL kinds of pests away come next summer. ;)

BTW Dar- Beautiful Icelandics!!! Love that blue one!

Farmerboy, I've heard good things about emus as guard animals. The turkey thing might explain some of the raccoon attacks we've been having problems with here. My boyfriend tends to keep a pair of turkeys in the yard, but not too long after the last ones were butchered, a raccoon started wiping out the chickens.

Awww! I just found out that my BO is the one that's been laying eggs in our rosebush. It's not my Icelandic pullet
he.gif
When will she lay?! She's 23 weeks old. I was really hoping she'd started, because my BO is the only girl I have laying right now. Out of about ten pullets that should be laying. Am I doing things that wrong??

By chance, does anyone here have some pictures of Icelandic eggs compared to eggs from other breeds? I know someone had a couple up not too long ago of giant eggs from one of their Icelandics, but I can't help but wonder if I just won't know my pullet's eggs when I see them
sad.png

By chance, does anyone here have some pictures of Icelandic eggs compared to eggs from other breeds? I know someone had a couple up not too long ago of giant eggs from one of their Icelandics, but I can't help but wonder if I just won't know my pullet's eggs when I see them
sad.png
I don't have a picture up, but mine are very pale tinted to white.

I have some collected to ship this week, I'll try to take a picture later.

Deb

My hen is laying finally hers are an off white small, she is not very big. The roos are so pretty! I have a white one with rust and the other has black tail feathers with the rest being all the rest of the colors of the rainbow. The roos have such big combs and wattles. I will have to take new pics.

Kimmie

[COLOR=0000CD]My hen is laying finally hers are an off white small, she is not very big. The roos are so pretty! I have a white one with rust and the other has black tail feathers with the rest being all the rest of the colors of the rainbow. The roos have such big combs and wattles. I will have to take new pics.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Kimmie[/COLOR]

They sound really nice. Please post some pictures!

Back
Top Bottom